Profile Picture

Crankshaft damper spacing.

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
While working on my water pump (292) I notice that my damper is very close to the front engine mount.  I don't see any clearance or daylight between them.  I can't slip a feeler gage between the two. I'm sure there must be some clearance but I don't see it. What am I missing? Thanks.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Where are you measuring?  Here is a photo of the damper and front mount on my 55 TBird.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/66f59980-1e89-4c47-bb0c-0815.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

I am measuring right where your black damper is almost against the red mount.  I looks close just like mine.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

On my motor there is a good 1/2 clearance between the front mount and the damper.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eb7e6e84-1935-4c37-911a-a4bc.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

my 55 bird  looks nothing like your 2nd photo.  it looks exactly like the1st photo. I can see a big difference in your photos.  is the damper pressed on a rubber bushing or is it solid. 
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

55charliebird.  The crankshaft vibration damper on your 'Bird is a 'Bird only application.  The black 'donut' is rubber mounted by design.  With time, engine heat, 'Bird under-hood operating temperature, the rubber mount that secures the 'donut' deteriorates.  It's common for the donut to move away from the pulley and eventually rub against the lower portion of the 'Bird front engine mount that is secured to the timing chain cover.

As I recall, there are three companies who offer repair of the damper assembly that involves remounting the donut using a vulcanizing process.  Two companies regularly advertise in Hemming's Magazine and one was identified within the last year here on the Forum.

Someone on our Forum will be able to recommend one or more of the three vendors based upon their experience.

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That is what I have expected.  The steel donut must have separated from the rubber insert.  Well,  while I have the water pump off, I might as well pull the pulley/damper off. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have used Damper Doctor quite a few times in the past with good results.  Here's a link to his website. https://www.damperdoctor.com/

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PHIL, COULD IT BE THAT THE 4 BOLTS HOLDING THE ENGINE IN THE MOUNT HAVE ALLOWED THE ENGINE TO SLIP DOWN SO THAT THE DAMPER HAS COME TO REST ON THE "BUMP" IN THE MOUNT BRACKET.  IM SURE THE BOLT HOLES IN THE MOUNT HAVE SOME SLOP IN THE FIT.  CAN I LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND RAISE SLIGHTLY THE ENGINE?  THE DAMPER DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IT IS COMPROMISED OR SEPERATED.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm not Phil, but I doubt that there is that much travel in the mount holes.  I had the same problem with a Bird 312.  Unfortunately, to fix it it has to come off and get repaired.  If it's not hitting now, maybe you get away with it that way for a while.

55charliebird (2/28/2019)
PHIL, COULD IT BE THAT THE 4 BOLTS HOLDING THE ENGINE IN THE MOUNT HAVE ALLOWED THE ENGINE TO SLIP DOWN SO THAT THE DAMPER HAS COME TO REST ON THE "BUMP" IN THE MOUNT BRACKET.  IM SURE THE BOLT HOLES IN THE MOUNT HAVE SOME SLOP IN THE FIT.  CAN I LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND RAISE SLIGHTLY THE ENGINE?  THE DAMPER DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IT IS COMPROMISED OR SEPERATED.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter