Profile Picture

Help Me Decide

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I now own both an Edelbrock 573 TriPower intake manifold and an Edelbrock 257 dual quad intake manifold.  I wish to install one or the other on the 292 in my 1955 Tbird with O/D. I am at a crossroads and need to decide which option is better for me.  What I want is a good looking multi carb setup that is trouble free, drivable and impressive looking.   A nostalgia look is somewhat important.  Here are the options I am considering.

Option #1 - 257 Manifold with two Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetors 500 CFM with Manual Choke, adapters, linkage and flat top air cleaners.
Cost - $850.00

Option #2 - 573 Manifold with one new Holley 94 Primary and two new Holley 94 Secondary carbs (Vintage Speed), linkage and Bug Screen air cleaners
Cost - $985.00

There is a third option, but I decided the linkage would be too complex and may cause problems.  That option is to use two Holley 1848 4Vs mounted sideways.  I currently own one, so the cost would be comparable to the other two options.

The costs shown do not include fuel lines or a fuel log.  Gas mileage is not an issue.   Both costs are nearly the same.  Which option do you like better?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
To me (IMO), the FYB TRI-POWER SETUP looks out-of-date/archaic, especially on a BIRD..

The intro of the BIRD was intended (again IMO) to usher in a new age of performance. GM's CORVETTE had it all over the BIRD on the street as badly as I have to admit it. But running a FORD on the street has always been a game of catch-up to me..

Dual WCFB's (with progressive linkage and dedicated end carbs) with an early FORD dual four ACL to me is the ultimate for a street BIRD.

I am now hunkering down for expected incoming ...

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Option #1 - 257 Manifold with two Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetors 500 CFM with Manual Choke, adapters,

Does the EDEL 257 have the small or large 4V mounting pattern? If an adaptor(s) is required, I doubt the hood will close.

62bigwindow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Run the dual quad and sell me the 3x2. 😊

Durham Missouri
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The 257 and all 2x4 intakes that fit the Ford Y Block use the small pattern so adapters are required for modern carburetors.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The 257 and all 2x4 intakes that fit the Ford Y Block use the small pattern so adapters are required for modern carburetors.     

THANX! for that, mild brain-f@rt.

I was thinking maybe EDEL got ahead of the game and issued theirs with a H4150 pattern.

Anywho, the EDEL FM257 isn't going to take the EDEL 1405 with a 1 1/2" H carb adapter under a BIRD hood.

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I agree dual WCFBs would be cool.   Two problems.  One is the age of the carbs and the lack of TBird hood clearance.  Old carbs are just well...Old.   I have had my share of side-of-the-road breakdowns.  The price of a decent set of WCFBs is through the roof and they would still need some throttle fabrication.

I think two new Edelbrocks would be the easiest and probably run the best.  To me they don't look vintage enough for my taste, especially with the red labels and shiny finish. 

Right now I'm leaning toward the triple 94s. This is not an easy choice to make.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1325fb90-b0eb-44f1-850b-8f95.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f49a3afa-2190-4bf3-bdf4-8f4a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Phil, those are tough choices. Just some random thoughts.

If someone on here has an offy manifold off the car, and is willing to lay it on the bench with a straight edge across the fore/aft axis, they can give you a height measurement at the front and back. You can compare your Edelbrock. As I mentioned earlier I had to take about a 1/4” inch out of the rear filter element for clearance.

Drylakesracer has some post about his dual quads, WCFB’s if I recall right. He might be able to give some additional info. I’d be contacting Sal Sciala on the Ford Barn (he’s occasionally here) or carbking on the HAMB. I think those guys (I’m sure there’s more) would be able to fully restore the carbs and give you a good starting point.

Here’s the air cleaner Doane Spencer had on his dual quad 55.

Here what I did on my stock motor, since changed

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the input.  I hope you guys don't mind all my posts.  Y Blocks are addictive.   I've done some measuring using the Edelbrock 573 and the three Holley 94s I have. There is no question, the 573 with three Holley 94s will fit under my hood without air cleaners. They may even fit with the small filters in the photo above.  The rear carb is the only possible issue as the hood has a seam running in the back of the scoop. Charlie told me some people mill the rear carb pad to get extra clearance.  I don't believe that will be necessary in my case.

I like the look of the naked carbs and low screens like they used to run on the VW Bug Spray 94s.   I've pretty much discounted the WCFBs as they are too expensive and would require so much work.  I found out there are a number of companies manufacturing new repro Holley 94s. Edlebrock is one of them.  The nicest setup I have seen so far is from Vintage Speed.  I'm going to drive down next week and check them out.

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Florida_Phil (2/16/2019)
I agree dual WCFBs would be cool.   Two problems.  One is the age of the carbs and the lack of TBird hood clearance.  Old carbs are just well...Old.   I have had my share of side-of-the-road breakdowns.  The price of a decent set of WCFBs is through the roof and they would still need some throttle fabrication.

I think two new Edelbrocks would be the easiest and probably run the best.  To me they don't look vintage enough for my taste, especially with the red labels and shiny finish. 

Right now I'm leaning toward the triple 94s. This is not an easy choice to make.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1325fb90-b0eb-44f1-850b-8f95.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f49a3afa-2190-4bf3-bdf4-8f4a.jpg

Few years back I saw Inglese was making side draft carbs, they even had adapters to bolt two side draft carbs to a single 4V intake manifold.  The hotrod I wanted to build I seriously thought of running a dual quad intake with two of these adapters and having four webber side draft carbs for a older look.

Looks like now all they got are the EZ-EFI 1.0 and 2.0 side draft carb setups.  Sucks though as the carb setup was like $1,000 for the adapter and two side draft 2V carbs.  This set now in efi is $3,000 now.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Reading This Topic

Site Meter