Profile Picture

Cracked Block??

Posted By lazylnm 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Engine was fresh - crank turned, bored, heads done with exhaust seats, etc, etc.  Cam was a little healthier than stock.  Nothing exotic.  The machine shop was in Seattle.  IIRC we had to sleeve one cylinder.  I'll have to dig around to see it I still have the paper work.
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Is the water you seen and the gurgling you hear on the same side as the sleeved piston. As has been said you can fill the system and do a pressure check or maybe pull the plug on that sleeved cylinder and push some air into it . 
lazylnm
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Thanks for the insight.  The responses I'm getting are leading me in the right direction to figure out where I'm at.  Never done this kind of investigative mechanics before and don't know what to expect so I'm being very careful.
I got some PVC end caps today that should slip inside the radiator hoses to isolate the block.  I'll first pull the thermostat then apply air and see if anything different happens.  I'll pull the plugs to see if there is any evidence of water and listen to each cylinder while applying air.  I've drained the oil - so if anything gets into the bottom end, water should flow right out the drain hole.
When I do a compression check by spinning the engine with the starter, I assume I should try to get some oil pressure before starting.  It's been dry for almost 30 years.
Will gaskets degrade over time when not being used?  You mentioned a head gasket getting compressed which I assume will show up on a compression check.
I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

The head gasket is designed to be somewhat compressed I doubt if you will have any issues unless it has failed between the cooling jacket and the cylinder . If you have not pulled the valve covers off, I would and just pour some break in type oil or zinc additive down the push rod holes on to the cam to prevent any wear  while you spin the engine to do the compression test . The engine has been sitting a long time and maybe overkill but its only a few minutes work to protect the cam . Its is possible that some gaskets may be dry do to the age but I would not worry about them now , you need to find the source of the water as was said earlier the plugs on the engine that most people refer to as freeze out plugs are there for casting purposes some time you may get lucky and one pops but that was not its designed to do. If you drained the oil you need to put it back if you want to build oil pressure. Do the compression test with the throttle plate held open to get the best results If you have a low reading in two adjoining cylinders than most likely your head gasket has failed at that point . I think once you start looking around the problem will jump right out good luck keep us apprised 
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
“The machine shop was in Seattle. IIRC we had to sleeve one cylinder. I'll have to dig around to see it I still have the paper work.”

If you’re still around Seattle, I’ve got a couple probably good blocks in storage if it doesn’t come out well.

They’re down in Tukwila.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

i would put the coolant back in,with some antifreeze,re connect the rad put the oil back,remove plugs and spin untill some oil pressure. plugs back in start the engine,if the block is cracked internal the oil will turn milky. as it warms up  external cracks  if they exist will leak. be sure to put the pressure cap on fully ,you want pressure in cooling. if water was left in the most vulernable aria is around the motor mount arias. don't worry about the sleve that repair if was inst buy a engine shop it is the last place i would worrey about.. air is misleading at this stage.. if water turns milky you have a internal leak re freezing. just pull the engine .how cold has it bin, a major freeze with small amounts of water left in will be hard to find if internal. you need a little luck ,but your issue is not rare hear I'm bc.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
When I do a compression check by spinning the engine with the starter, I assume I should try to get some oil pressure before starting.  It's been dry for almost 30 years.]

The hardest on an engine is a cold start, especially if it has not been turned for thirty years. You might want to consider using SEAFOAM in the cylinders to free the rings (let set for a few days with plugs installed and expel when turning the engine over with plugs removed). Also prime the oiling system, turn the engine over by hand a few times to distribute oil while priming. Reinstall plugs and then attempt fire. You will get a more precise compression reading on a warm engine.

Also, an internal coolant leak may occur on a cold engine, warm engine or combination.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Outstanding idea by Kultulz remove all the plugs and put some lube into the cylinder Seafoam or Marvel oil put a good amount it to cover the top of the piston spraying it in give fairl good coverage let it sit a least overnight with the plugs in to get down well. REMOVE the plugs spin the engine to get the fluid out before attempting to start the car it should get a lil messy make sure as much liquid is out as possible just curious are you still running with 6 volts or did you convert to 12volts good luck again
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

55 GLASS TOP (2/7/2019)
Outstanding idea by Kultulz remove all the plugs and put some lube into the cylinder Seafoam or Marvel oil put a good amount it to cover the top of the piston spraying it in give fairl good coverage let it sit a least overnight with the plugs in to get down well. REMOVE the plugs spin the engine to get the fluid out before attempting to start the car it should get a lil messy make sure as much liquid is out as possible just curious are you still running with 6 volts or did you convert to 12volts good luck again

already stated engine turns freely. mix some engine oil with 3parts gas 1 part oil, feed it into carb as trying to start,this ensures some lube to valves and rings instantly. have used this on several engines that sat for long period .bigest issue is sticking faves. fact we are looking for cracked block getting the engine to run is important to determine if in fact there is a crack. air pressure  not the best way, get it running and up to temp is 1st step
lazylnm
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

miker (2/6/2019)
“The machine shop was in Seattle. IIRC we had to sleeve one cylinder. I'll have to dig around to see it I still have the paper work.”

If you’re still around Seattle, I’ve got a couple probably good blocks in storage if it doesn’t come out well.

They’re down in Tukwila.

We moved from Seattle in 2006 and are now about 2 hours north of Spokane almost to the Canadian border.  The good news is that I now have a wonderful, heated shop.  The bad news is that I'm 26 miles for the nearest parts store.
Thanks for your offer of a potential block if/when it gets down to that.  I'll keep it in mind.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter