Profile Picture

Ready to set intake

Posted By Melly 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Should you set new intake gasket with or without sealant? And if so what is best to use?
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 12 hours ago
I don't use sealant on intake gaskets.  Also, when you set the intake on, before you bolt it down, make sure the bottom of the manifold does not hit the head of the front valley pan bolt.  Gasket kits today have the same thickness grommets for both the valve covers and the valley pan. This often makes the bolts stand up too far and the manifold rests on the bolt head.  Tightening the intake bolts sometimes breaks off the front ears of the manifold.  Don't ask me how I know this.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Like John, I don’t use any sealants on the intake gaskets.  I do coat the gaskets with some white grease though.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
when you set the intake on, before you bolt it down, make sure the bottom of the manifold does not hit the head of the front valley pan bolt.  Gasket kits today have the same thickness grommets for both the valve covers and the valley pan. This often makes the bolts stand up too far and the manifold rests on the bolt head.  Tightening the intake bolts sometimes breaks off the front ears of the manifold.

Now that is an important and welcomed FACTOID.

THANX!

Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Thanks for your help.  Now just have to wait for a change in weather so I can paint  the block area. .  The cast must be pretty cold as it is -25 blow he in Minn. ( Great White North ) .  So will have to apply some heat to motor to paint,  Or leave Heater on in garage for some time to allow that motor surface to warm. And also worry about breaking a ear off.

Again thanks this site if GREAT alone with those that support it.  For those of us with not a lot of knowledge.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
So will have to apply some heat to motor to paint,

Sun lamp/floor lamp.

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I didn't use any sealer on my intake gasket, just used a quality felpro gasket.

How ever if you want it doesn't hurt to put a tiny thing bead around the water jackets as added protection.  We do that at work to ensure no come backs but on my personal vehicles I don't do that as I use good gaskets.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I put a thin coat of RTV only around the water ports

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter