Ready to set intake

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143638.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Melly - 5 Years Ago
Should you set new intake gasket with or without sealant? And if so what is best to use?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
I don't use sealant on intake gaskets.  Also, when you set the intake on, before you bolt it down, make sure the bottom of the manifold does not hit the head of the front valley pan bolt.  Gasket kits today have the same thickness grommets for both the valve covers and the valley pan. This often makes the bolts stand up too far and the manifold rests on the bolt head.  Tightening the intake bolts sometimes breaks off the front ears of the manifold.  Don't ask me how I know this.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Like John, I don’t use any sealants on the intake gaskets.  I do coat the gaskets with some white grease though.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
when you set the intake on, before you bolt it down, make sure the bottom of the manifold does not hit the head of the front valley pan bolt.  Gasket kits today have the same thickness grommets for both the valve covers and the valley pan. This often makes the bolts stand up too far and the manifold rests on the bolt head.  Tightening the intake bolts sometimes breaks off the front ears of the manifold.

Now that is an important and welcomed FACTOID.

THANX!
By Melly - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for your help.  Now just have to wait for a change in weather so I can paint  the block area. .  The cast must be pretty cold as it is -25 blow he in Minn. ( Great White North ) .  So will have to apply some heat to motor to paint,  Or leave Heater on in garage for some time to allow that motor surface to warm. And also worry about breaking a ear off.

Again thanks this site if GREAT alone with those that support it.  For those of us with not a lot of knowledge.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
So will have to apply some heat to motor to paint,

Sun lamp/floor lamp.
By Rusty_S85 - 5 Years Ago
I didn't use any sealer on my intake gasket, just used a quality felpro gasket.

How ever if you want it doesn't hurt to put a tiny thing bead around the water jackets as added protection.  We do that at work to ensure no come backs but on my personal vehicles I don't do that as I use good gaskets.
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
I put a thin coat of RTV only around the water ports