Profile Picture

Only left bank burning oil

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 days ago
I have been reading this thread and understand the oil tube is missing ,my question is will this missing part increase the volume of oil so much that it will flood the head ,so much it will cause the smoking , or is it possible the head gasket was not properly installed and with the valve cover on the oil is truly flooding the head. I watched the video on YouTube where the rockers are pressureized and the is a large amount of oil it properly drains away and there is no smoke from the engine. I am no expert by any means but the video on YouTube seems pretty definitive. Seems like large amount of oil is ok if it drains properly.

That tube was put there for a reason by ENGINEERING to regulate oil delivery volume. If the engine makes/holds good oil pressure/volume and the rocker arm assemblies are within spec, there is no need (IMO) to modify anything on a street engine.

If the engine has been modified, yes you would address the valve-train lubricating assemblies. Pressurizing the shaft will give you this but it would have to be regulated, i.e. via restrictions to ensure equal flow and relief.

It is much more involved other than removing/restricting flow of the tube(s). Those tubes also lubricate the timing set as well as the distributor drive.

If he found the head overflowing with return oil, the tubes must be used or it will overwhelm the valve seals regardless of the type of seals used.

The above is IMO and your mileage may vary.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdmD0sQbx4       Just my observation 
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Watching this video, it was noticed that he did the TEST on the right bank. I've read that the left bank is where the problem occurs with oil burning at IDLE. He didn't let the engine idle and then rev it up.
Our problem was a blue puff of smoke at red lights when the car was at idle for as long as the light was red. We all know there are short red lights and long ones. we'd leave the red light and for a few seconds there is a puff of blue smoke out of the LEFT BANK.
We'd shut the car off for 25 minutes and start it up................NO SMOKE !!!
After we noticed that the rocker arm oil return tube was missing, this explained the puff of blue smoke from the LEFT BANK and none from the right after idling for a few minutes.
Hopefully this problem will disappear and a new challenge will pop up.
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Many run pressurized rockers, without the overflow tubes and without this problem on both banks.  If backed up oil flow is the problem, then reinstallation of the overflow tubes may take care of the issue.  But the root problem may be that the drain holes have become blocked, maybe by crud, maybe by a chunk of valve cover gasket.

If the tube is missing, do you have some sort of plug in the rocker stand?  The tube also helps to locate the shaft within the stands so something should be in place to serve that purpose if the tube is missing.

Lawrenceville, GA
carl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Tim Quinn (2/6/2019)
Carl,
Here is the info you requested:
Tim Quinn
2711 E Vina Del Mar
St Pete Beach, Florida 33706 
email: TimQuinn11@gmail.com
I sure do thank for you help and will gladly pay the postage
when the tubes arrive.
Thanks again,
Tim on Florida
(aka: Waiting Room for Heaven)
Tim  I will mail you the tubes out tomorrow     Carl

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

To my knowledge, there is no plug in the rocker arm.
Last time I had the valve cover off and had the engine running, all I noticed was the  rapid build
up of oil a the bottom of the head. The oil started to run over the lip of the head very quickly.
At this time, I was not aware of the return tube(s) were missing until I was a picture of a head with
the return tube in the working position.
That is when I put 2 + 2 together and came to the conclusion that the puff of blue smoke was
caused by the absence of the return tube.
Good hearing from you,
Tim
Wrinkle City, Florida
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Carl,
Thanks for the GOOD NEWS about sending the tubes.
I'll let you know when they arrive.
You can send them SNAIL MAIL I've been 
without then for a while and the car runs like a dream
except for the puff of blue smoke.
Tim Quinn
Wrinkle Beach, Florida
PS: I call St Pete Beach "WRINKLE BEACH" ' cause everyone here
has been aged by the sun. Just having fun.

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
This is a recently fresh re-build, correct? Did the re-builder ever say why he left the tube(s) off?

If fresh, the drain hols should be clear. A rifle brush will confirm if plugged by trash.

The practice of pressuring the shafts is practical. The video did not show how this procedure was performed, only the result. The flow has to be regulated and that will require a volume release IMO. Those tubes direct unspent oil to the lifter valley, not the bottom drain holes. Without the tubes, any overflow will go to the bottom drain holes. All has to be balanced.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
This is the first video of the rocker shaft rebuild this man builds great engines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZjObWyRJU
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When the car was purchased back in August 2016, we were told that the engine was rebuilt and the car sat in storage for more that eight years and had only 488 miles on a rebuild. The previous owner was an old GMC Dealer in Central Michigan. The car was restored as close as possible to stock. It had a stock distributor withe a Pertronic set up and a modern 4 barrel carb.
The engine was not a stock M code 292, it was a 312 with ECZ  stamped all over and bored out 0,090 with aluminum pistons.
After driving it for less than a year, three lifters snapped or broke a part and chewed up the cam. put a nice hole in the valley cover (this made me mad and sad).
We pulled the the engine out and took it to be repaired. While talking to the person who repaired it, I pointed out the missing oil tubes and he said that there were no tubes on the engine when we brought it to him. He put it back together not knowing it need those tubes.
I'm guessing that the people in Michigan who original rebuilt the engine failed to install the return tubes.
I feel once we put the oil return tubes back on the engine, the puffs of blue smoke will become ancient history..........Update to follow.
Tim Quinn
Florida
PS: If you had not sent me those pictures of Y blocks with the draft tube hooked to the car, I'd still be trying to solve the BLUE SMOKE PROBLEM !!!!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter