Profile Picture

256 with 272 heads from factory?

Posted By Starlifter 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Ok with the difference in the stroke, if someone were to just put 272 heads on a stock 256 2V it seams it wouldn’t be as efficient. There would be a .020 difference at TDC correct? Whatever the PO did it must have ran because there is plenty of grease and grime under valve covers and around head to indicate miles were put on engine in this configuration. I assume the head could have been shaved? I need to unstick engine any way. Marvel Mystery oil in cylinders let it soak a few days?
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Everything else equal, if only heads are swapped, then clearance will remain the same.

Lawrenceville, GA
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Starlifter (1/23/2019)
Ok with the difference in the stroke, if someone were to just put 272 heads on a stock 256 2V it seams it wouldn’t be as efficient. There would be a .020 difference at TDC correct? Whatever the PO did it must have ran because there is plenty of grease and grime under valve covers and around head to indicate miles were put on engine in this configuration. I assume the head could have been shaved? I need to unstick engine any way. Marvel Mystery oil in cylinders let it soak a few days?

Because of the difference in pin height the 256 piston sits up higher in the cylinder ending up at the same point as the other engines.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Starlifter
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Y Block learning curve. This is hurting my head. Of course there seams to be some confusion on the internet not helping me. So there were changes to the 256 between 1954 and 1956? I read the 256 intake wouldn’t work with 272 heads because of port mismatch. I need a Y Block code breaker I guess.
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
It depends if the block was made in Cleveland or Dearborn.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Starlifter
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

So if the block casting number is on the driver side it is a Cleveland block?
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I'll throw something in here - I thought the 256 was a one year only engine, 1954.  In 55, Ford only continued the 239, made at a different plant and conformed to the 272/292 specs such as cam journal size, oil pump drive, etc.  Am I wrong??  Was the 256 continued into 55?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
paul2748 (1/23/2019)
I'll throw something in here - I thought the 256 was a one year only engine, 1954.  In 55, Ford only continued the 239, made at a different plant and conformed to the 272/292 specs such as cam journal size, oil pump drive, etc.  Am I wrong??  Was the 256 continued into 55?

Both the 239 and 256 engines were available in the Ford pickups in 1955.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Starlifter
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Ok other than having a 100% correct engine or something like that was the engine in it when I bought it and it runs ok, what would be a reason to keep a 239 or 256? I’m not asking to disparage anyone or specific engine I just keep reading for individuals and some publications “you don’t want either of these engines”. Is this mainly because of early changes in design which effects part availablity both original and aftermarket? Could it be based on past hearsay? A good number of people can’t leave an engine alone and will always look for ways to improve a factory design. Trust me I have a 429 Cadillac engine. Pretty impressive HP and torque numbers. Virtually no performance parts available. Everyone says don’t waste your time/money on it, step up to a 500 cubic inch. So after all this rambling is there a problem with the 256 other than it doesn’t have the performance potential as it’s bigger cousins?
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

good as the next.these things pulled heave trucks up to i think f700

Reading This Topic

Site Meter