Profile Picture

Front mount

Posted By RB 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I just finished pulling the motor from my 56 Fairlane..  What is the purpose of the front yoke that attaches to the timing cover and rests on the front cross member.. It seems rather redundant since the 292 already uses 2 side mounts.  It makes it a real PITA to get the engine extracted..  Is there a good reason not to eliminate it?
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Royce, I think I've read where that that bracket was used to make the engine a damper for the front suspension to prevent "freeway hop" caused by the tar strips in the old concrete highways.  I never re-installed it in the two '56s I had and couldn't tell any difference.  Of course I was a teenager at the time, and what do teenagers know?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
RB (1/16/2019)
I just finished pulling the motor from my 56 Fairlane..  What is the purpose of the front yoke that attaches to the timing cover and rests on the front cross member.. It seems rather redundant since the 292 already uses 2 side mounts.  It makes it a real PITA to get the engine extracted..  Is there a good reason not to eliminate it?

I think many were removed over the Years. I asked this Question myself a little while ago. Couple of Responses said that it was an extra Mount in case the Side Ones broke. I pulled the Motor on mine to clean it up and re-seal for Oil Leaks. I decided to put it back on. The Rubber insulators are available as Repros. You have to remove the Damper to get the Mount off.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 2:17:56 AM
i never reused them.i took the last one of 5 years ago.you dont miss it and the car is easier to work at.a lot of stuff was left of 56 fords the splash pan that went under the motor as well as the piece that bolted on top of the rad support seldom went back on.54 to 56 were not an easy car to work on try putting in a set of points when its hot i dont know how they did it back in the day.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Royce, I think I've read where that that bracket was used to make the engine a damper for the front suspension to prevent "freeway hop" caused by the tar strips in the old concrete highways.  I never re-installed it in the two '56s I had and couldn't tell any difference.  Of course I was a teenager at the time, and what do teenagers know?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"

John explained it quite well. Not to steal his thunder but It was named STEADY-REST to tighten the frame up.

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I know that a lot of people took it off and left it off (see above), but when I put the 312 in my 54 I put it back on just for peace of mind and to act as it was intended - which in my opinion was another stabilizing bracket

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Decision made.... It gets tossed....  Thanks for the comments
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Buy a spare radiator, with out the study rest you might need one after a really hard stop.  
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't own a 55-56 ford, but without the "steady rest,"  how secure is the engine if the transmission is removed?..

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Consider re-sale or just boxing it.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter