Profile Picture

292 rocker arms offcenter

Posted By cjs1958 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yes those are a later design, without the jamnut.

Something I found odd, replaced 16 rockers with NOS, after several hundred miles one or two had seemed to lose their interference fit more than I'd like to see. They have a pretty stout torque when new, better eat yer Wheaties, and while the lash doesn't vary it's unclear to me how this happens.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
cjs1958 (1/13/2019)
Sorry I haven't looked in for a few days. This is the type of adjusters I have. I would call them an interference fit adjuster nut. Is this a later style adjuster?  I think this engine was a replacement because it was painted green, not red when I got it. All the nuts except 2 take about 25 ft-lb to turn,the other 2 take about 5 ft-lb. I was going to squeeze those two in the vise or use blue locktite as suggested earlier. If I can get replacement nuts for those two, would that fix it, or do the threads on rockers wear?. Thanks for all the replies, i've learned a lot.

Are You in the US or Canada? Reason I ask is the Canadian Engines in 55-56 were painted Green. I just finished repainting mine back to the Proper Green Color after last owner repainted it Red over the Original Green. You can see that Color in the Picture I posted earlier in this Post.. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
cjs1958 (1/13/2019)
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/44b66301-a119-4c4d-8f2d-14e7.jpg

these rockers are different than the Green engine,these are self locking, Green has jam nuts ,jam nut rockers use a different thread .

Green engine has jam nuts
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Thats my '56 Engine. The 55's were all Locknut Type. I know some 56 Engines came with Locknuts and some with the Adjusters that don't use Locknuts. Was it a mid Year Change or just random until the old Style were used up? The self locking Ones are certainly much easier to adjust.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
cjs1958
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I am in USA. I think the car came out of New Mexico.
cjs1958
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I set the valves today  with my P&G Gapper at a slow Idle. It would not be possible to do it running if it had screws and locknuts. I did locktite the two loose ones. We'll see if they stay. I've driven this car for 9 years and the never gave any real  trouble. Thanks to all you guys.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

cjs1958 (1/13/2019)
I set the valves today  with my P&G Gapper at a slow Idle. It would not be possible to do it running if it had screws and locknuts. I did locktite the two loose ones. We'll see if they stay. I've driven this car for 9 years and the never gave any real  trouble. Thanks to all you guys.

How did You find it using the Valve Gapper? Figure out how it works?

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
canadianengines never stopped using the lock nut rockers.right through 57.if you find a different one it was changed.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (1/14/2019)
I know some 56 Engines came with Locknuts and some with the Adjusters that don't use Locknuts. Was it a mid Year Change or just random until the old Style were used up?

It was a mid-1956 model year changeover. It seems (without any official FORD documentation (Product Service Letters - original CHASSIS PARTS CAT to review), several changes were made when the 312 was released for PASS CAR assembly later in the 1956 model run.

EDIT -

Add SHOP MANUAL to reference materials as they were updated quarterly and the info most likely would have been available there.

Are You referring to the US Shop Manual or Canadian Master Repair Manual updated  Quarterly?

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I know some 56 Engines came with Locknuts and some with the Adjusters that don't use Locknuts. Was it a mid Year Change or just random until the old Style were used up?

It was a mid-1956 model year changeover. It seems (without any official FORD documentation (Product Service Letters - original CHASSIS PARTS CAT to review), several changes were made when the 312 was released for PASS CAR assembly later in the 1956 model run.

EDIT -

Add SHOP MANUAL to reference materials as they were updated quarterly and the info most likely would have been available there.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter