Profile Picture

292 rocker arms offcenter

Posted By cjs1958 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I've got a 292 in a 55 t-bird. Engine has less than 50k miles. I pulled the valve covers to set lash and found some of the rocker arms are not centered on the valve stems. They are off as much as 1/8" to 3/16". The ones that are off are too close to the mounting pedalstal. Is this normal? The engine is clean inside. There doesnt apear to be any excessive wear. It runs good. Are their left and right angled rockers and mine were put in wrong? Should I replace rocker arms? Should I install spacer washers between rocker arms and pedalstals? Should I set the lash and close it up?  Any help would be appreciated.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
nothing wrong its the way they are
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
cjs1958 (1/8/2019)
I've got a 292 in a 55 t-bird. Engine has less than 50k miles. I pulled the valve covers to set lash and found some of the rocker arms are not centered on the valve stems. They are off as much as 1/8" to 3/16". The ones that are off are too close to the mounting pedalstal. Is this normal? The engine is clean inside. There doesnt apear to be any excessive wear. It runs good. Are their left and right angled rockers and mine were put in wrong? Should I replace rocker arms? Should I install spacer washers between rocker arms and pedalstals? Should I set the lash and close it up?  Any help would be appreciated.

Because the Tips of the Rockers are not worn uniformly it becomes inaccurate using Feeler Gauges to set Valves. You may be better to use the 1/4 turn Method.  You tighten adjuster down enough that Lash between Arm and Push Rod is taken up. Push Rod should still be able to turn with your Fingers with a little bit of Effort. Then You turn the Adjuster out 1/4 of a Turn and lock the Adjuster. Should give you the specified Valve Lash.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b4602da6-9c71-4af5-abfb-d53d.jpg .  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
cjs1958
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about the rocker alingment. I used the "Walt Knuckels" quarter turn meathod before. I bought a P&G Valve Gapper on ebay last week, that is why I wanted to adjust the valves. They are a pretty cool tool. My valves were 0 lash to .033 before adjusting, so they did need it. Some of my adjuster nuts were a lot easier to turn than others. is that normal or a problem? Also I had somebut not a lot of oil flow out of the right rocker overflow tube, should I worry about it? Thanks. I just found this site and have been doing a lot of reading. Is there a search function on this forum?
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If the adjuster screw turns too easily they should be replaced. There is a published minimum torque they need to meet in the manual as I recall, but I couldn't find it. Otherwise though they will tend to loosen.

I don't know whether something like blue loctite would work in this situation. Seems like it would. The P&G tool works excellent and will result in a very smooth running motor.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

the right side never oiled as much as the left.if your getting some oil its ok.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
cjs1958 (1/8/2019)
Thanks for the replies. I was worried about the rocker alingment. I used the "Walt Knuckels" quarter turn meathod before. I bought a P&G Valve Gapper on ebay last week, that is why I wanted to adjust the valves. They are a pretty cool tool. My valves were 0 lash to .033 before adjusting, so they did need it. Some of my adjuster nuts were a lot easier to turn than others. is that normal or a problem? Also I had somebut not a lot of oil flow out of the right rocker overflow tube, should I worry about it? Thanks. I just found this site and have been doing a lot of reading. Is there a search function on this forum?

I picked up a Valve Gapper also couple of Weeks ago Looks interesting. Haven't tried it Yet..You might find the Rocker Shaft(s) are partially plugged. They can be disassembled and cleaned out. If You are getting Oil on both Sides You should be good. They don't need a lot of Oil to work. There's little squirter Holes on the Rocker Arms. They can be cleaned out with a Paper Clip. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
cjs1958
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

It's good to know the right doesn't oil as much as left. I have a couple adjuster nuts to watch. Do you have to replace the rocker or just the nut, which usually wears? I'll clean oil holes out before i close it up. Thanks guys.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

if they dont hold you can replace them with the old screw and nut.i dont think you can buy the self locking screws anymore.i havent been able to find any.
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
They do seem to be scarce, see them online sometimes at parts houses or eBay.

Anybody see any reason why Blue Loctite wouldn't work OK if they aren't too badly worn?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter