Profile Picture

Distributor replacement, what to do?

Posted By Kristian 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi.
I have a Ford F100 56' 272 Y-Block. I have bought the ECZ-9425-B intake and an Edelbrock 4 barrel Carb.
But now my Load-O-Matic distributor doesn't work with the set up anymore, because of the only vacuum advance.
Is this Dist from CRT an okay product.
I am from Denmark, and i can't get my Dist Rebuild.
If anyone can help i would be happy.
Thanks Smile

Everything you need to upgrade to Electronic Ignition!
FORD-Y-Block-256-272-292-312-Small-HEI-Distributor-Black-45K-Coil-Plug-Wires
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?- Better fuel mileage
- Quicker cold starts
- True Electronic ignition, no more points
- More power + torque
- Overall better reliability
What's Included Brand New Small Cap HEI Distributor
- CRT Performance 45K Old Style Can Ignition Coil w/ Bracket
- 8mm, Custom Fit, HD Spark Plug Wires
- All connecting pigtails
- Extra advance bushing and spring as well as vacuum blockoff
- installation instructions
The compact design of the cap fixes the clearance issues of the larger cap HEI distributor.
Unit comes ready to drop in and with a simple 3 wire hookup and your ready to go.Unit is identical in size to your point style distributor. 
Bring your old Ford back to life with True Electronic Ignition!

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
The CRT is a Chinese copy of an MSD.  It's a very common distributor rebranded and sold by many.  It can be found in a couple different colors.
People have used it.  I haven't heard anything bad, yet.  My biggest concern would be replacement parts availability.  Are caps, rotors, ignition modules available separately or only as a complete distributor.  If the former, then it may be a good buy.  If the latter, I'd just buy genuine MSD.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Read This and Compare - http://4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y-Block%20Distributors.htm

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

KULTULZ (1/5/2019)
2 options 1 friend has a new ford list for block withe points,comes with a cap. 150 us.
2 modified y dis with ford duraspark adapted, new coil and mad box with inst200.00
email ct1940@shaw.ca if you are interested. cliff tate

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
In the case of the CRT distributors from China, Is the product essentially the same as a MSD?  If so, why doesn't MSD file a Patent infringment claim?  It seems that many automotive products are being copied by Chinese companies, yet it appears that nothing comes of many of these cases.  Why?..

Paul
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
Maybe they have. Just haven't heard about it. Lets face it. The Chinese take a lot of Western Technology and copy it..As long as they don't sell it as the original which is called counterfeit they can get away with it. But I would be very concerned with replacement Parts availability.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
PF Arcand (1/6/2019)
It seems that many automotive products are being copied by Chinese companies, yet it appears that nothing comes of many of these cases.  Why?..

Manufacturing in China has certain requirements, one of them is turning over everything with regard to specs and proprietary info, every bit of it. The factory turning out MSD stuff may be cranking these out too, who knows. Intellectual copyright is a western concept, fuggedabout it.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Totally conjecture:

My guess is that US Patent Law cannot apply to products manufactured in foreign countries.  Really big companies, like Apple may be able to afford patents or other means of securing their interests in other countries, to protect their products but smaller companies may not.

If they are exact copies, possibly even manufactured by the same company, then replacement parts will not be an issue  Something else you get for the MSD price, though, is support  You're not going to get that with the Chinese product unless the company that sold you the distributor is willing to help out.  Don't count on any help from the actual Chinese manufacturer, if you can even identify them.

Lawrenceville, GA
62bigwindow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I thought after a number of years a product was not covered under patent laws anymore. If that's true then that could be how the Chinese are getting away with it.

Durham Missouri
GREENBIRD56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Once upon a time....... the US government would issue you a patent and defend your rights to it. Today, you provide them a clear idea of your idea - they verify it and record it - and you are on your own. Any defense of your patent rights is to your own account. Because of this - in this day and age "might makes right" - whenever someone investigates a patent infringement, they typically find the group with the most well funded legal team is always the winner.

Another problem - when you get a patent, it has to be totally exposed to the public. Gives anyone with the wherewithal to build it a free blueprint. Virtually all of the modern electronic ignitions use the electronic scheme shown on a Motorola patent of years ago. Every automotive electronics outfit on the planet has clear idea of how it works - and they use it at will.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter