Profile Picture

Choke Thermostat - NOS Fair Price?

Posted By Rusty_S85 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Im looking at some NOS choke thermostats, correct one for my application is a B6A-9848-C.  I found a few but I think they are excessively priced at over $100 for them before shipping.

Im curious what is a fair price on a NOS choke thermostat housing?

Mikes Carbs has a replacement style choke thermostat that will work on the old Holley 4000`s for $12 but I prefer to get a NOS ford one but cant justify spending over $100 for something like this.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Daniel Jessup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
IMO, I would not pay any more than $40

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Im curious what is a fair price on a NOS choke thermostat housing?

There is no fair price. This stuff is getting hard to come by and it sell's for whatever the market will bear.

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
It's really hard to estimate unless it's a fairly common item that sells regularly.  In this instance, "fair" is probably somewhere between what you're willing to pay and what the seller is asking.  Of course, the seller holds all the power.  If they're not willing to come down and you're not willing to offer more, then forget NOS.

If you need it now, it doesn't sound like NOS will work for you.  If it is not urgent, one is bound to show up at a more "reasonable" price.  In general, on NOS items, don't wait too long.  There is a finite supply and the price will generally increase.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

If you want authenticity than you have to pay for it.  NOS parts are getting harder and harder to find and if that is what you want you have to pay for it.  Honestly, Joe average and even some owners of the same car won't notice that the wording on a thermostat housing is not authentic

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Thanks for the replies.  For me its not a make or break to have NOS.  Only reason I am looking at NOS is cause I know without a doubt it will have the mark cut into the choke for indexing so I know where the choke thermostat should be initially set to get me in the right area for proper operation.  The replacement ones I don't know if they will have this mark.  I can get one from Mikes Carbs for $12, or pick one up form concourse for $25.  But no clear information on if they have this indexing mark.  I have a reproduction choke shield that once that is bolted on even with the aircleaner off you wont notice the lack of the markings on the cover of the choke coil.

My main goal is proper function as well as the proper groove in the right place to assist in proper choke setting.  I don't absolutely need NOS, just know that it will have the groove cut into it if go that route.

I did some looking online and I found this guys three photos from ebay on three other sites with different pricing which has me curious if this guy is trying to sell it but wont come down on the price on ebay at least.

So as of now I found it on Ebay for $120 + $8 for s/h.  Seller told me he would take $100 for it min.  Then doing a part number search I found the same 3 images on floatmarket for $89.  Then there is boutiques fashionable that has it listed on sale from $56.58 to $43.23.

So for me I would jump on the one listing for $43.23 but I don't know if I want to order from there.  I am willing to go to $40 for the part but I cant justify over $40 for it.  I understand that the supply is going down so thus the price will go up but there is also a limited demand for the item at the same time which makes it hard for me to put a super high value of $100 on it but I guess if people are crazy enough to pay for it.

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

You say you want it to be "AUTHENTIC" but then you cry about paying for authentic. I do not
sympathize. Pete
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Pete 55Tbird (12/30/2018)
You say you want it to be "AUTHENTIC" but then you cry about paying for authentic. I do not
sympathize. Pete

Don't recall saying I want it to be authentic.  I stated I want the proper marking on the thermostat so I can properly set it where it needs to be for the initial setting.

No where did I say I want it to be OEM authentic so maybe you should read and re-read before you make yourself look foolish posting what you did.

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You could mark the new one, using an original as reference.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

charliemccraney (12/30/2018)
You could mark the new one, using an original as reference.

Well the one I currently have has no marking on it.  The one that came with the reman carb has a mark but I am not using it as I had to transfer my choke housing from my old carb to the new reman cause the fools forgot to put the choke saver on so I couldn't attach my choke tubes.  Well in the process of that the choke thermostat rolled off the table and landed on the ground and cracked the plastic housing.  With that crack in it, in my eyes its no good as it will most likely leak once it warms up.  Unless the old timers from the tech classes I took years ago were wrong about that.

I probably could use that.  My thing is lots of the choke thermostats I keep finding they have the spring positioned to expand towards the front of the car where mine needs to expand to the rear of the car.  I think that is the 9848-A thermostats that has this clock wise lean design while I need the 9848-C style with the counter clockwise lean design.

If I could salvage the one that came with the reman carb with the crack in it I could just use that one till I find one a more reasonable price to change it out for at a later date.

Probably a strange thing to ask but is there a way to seal a crack on the plastic of the choke thermostat I do have?  its on the side of the thermostat itself on the outside but on the inside the hairline crack runs to the flat side where the spring mounts.  With how hot this assembly gets I don't think I could use like CA glue or something to seal it.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter