Profile Picture

56 dual vacuum advance - hook up and testing

Posted By Rusty_S85 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
First off i have a NOS vacuum advance coming in today, i assume the only testing is to see if they pull a vacuum and hold vacuum correct?

Secondly, how do these lines attach?

Im reading my holley pressure type dist service manual that came in today reprint of the august 1955 issue, it doesnt show vacuum routing nor a diagram of a dual reservoir but it does state there are two vacuum lines one that is ported vacuum that has a passage jhst above the throttle plates and the other goes to the side of the carb for the spark delay valve.

But the brass elbow i got i was informed has the ferrell line goes to the dist and the flared line goes to vacuum for the wiper motor or to the dual diaphragm fuel pump. This would be manifold vacuum.

Is this the correct hookup for this on a 56 with the correct holley 4000 carb?

Want to make sure cause this service manual is implying the dist shouldnt be manifold vacuum but only ported vacuum.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Sandbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The outer diaphragm goes to the manifold vacuum at the distribution block at the base of the 4000 carb. The inner most diaphragm on the distributor housing gets ported vacuum from the carb at the connection just above the spark control valve. They should hold a vacuum, The diaphragm that uses ported vacuum only requires a few inches to operate. If it's new I would just put it on and check it with a timing light.
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Sandbird (12/10/2018)
The outer diaphragm goes to the manifold vacuum at the distribution block at the base of the 4000 carb. The inner most diaphragm on the distributor housing gets ported vacuum from the carb at the connection just above the spark control valve. They should hold a vacuum, The diaphragm that uses ported vacuum only requires a few inches to operate. If it's new I would just put it on and check it with a timing light.

Ah ok whats throwing me for a loop is the manifold vacuum I got home and dug through my digital copies of service manuals the 56 supplemental manual for the holley 4000 is where I see the manifold vacuum goes to the outter most canister which is known as a surge diaphragm and it appears the outter diaphragm has a spring while the larger diaphragm has no spring that explains why it flops in and out so easily with no resistance.  Pulling out on the advance arm and putting some light vacuum via mouth to the port it pulls so it looks all good.

Only thing holding me up now is I got my box out from 2 years ago from the parts I bought to put the original stuff back on the car but was put on hold finding the last few hard to find pieces, I found out now my choke control inlet tube is defective or wrong.  The bag says inlet tube 1956 with a part number of B6A-9820-A but the tube in the bag has a tapco tag on it that says 56 thunderbird 9820-B and the thing isn't even shaped right.  The tube is supposed to be vertical so when you plug it into the elbow on the heat tube its supposed to wrap around the intake and straight up into the bottom of the air horn of the carb.  This thing if you hook it up properly would be pointed at the spark delay valve and its heavy steel.  I decided to order another one from Larrys this time at a tune of $20, its listed on his site as a p9820-B the -A comes up as a 55 with a different shape so hes not using OEM part numbers which my 56 with 292 would be a 9820-A not a 9820-B.

None the less I hope larry can get me the part before this weekend as I really want to figure out how to get the choke tube that's broke out and figure out how you get the new installed.  I look at the new tube it has a raised lip so it looks like you have to work it in through the exhaust port then line it up and tap it back into place till it stops.  I need to hit my shop manuals again cause I already looked once and there was nothing in them about replacement of the choke tube.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
"...inlet tube 1956 with a part number of B6A-9820-A but the tube in the bag has a tapco tag on it that says 56 thunderbird 9820-B and the thing isn't even shaped right.  The tube is supposed to be vertical so when you plug it into the elbow on the heat tube its supposed to wrap around the intake and straight up into the bottom of the air horn of the carb.  This thing if you hook it up properly would be pointed at the spark delay valve and its heavy steel.  I decided to order another one from Larrys this time at a tune of $20, its listed on his site as a p9820-B the -A comes up as a 55 with a different shape so hes not using OEM part numbers which my 56 with 292 would be a 9820-A not a 9820-B."

B6A 9820-A is for either the 56 FORD or 56 BIRD. Same system.

They cannot use OEM PN's as they are copyrighted. So it is a crap-shoot unless the vendor has correct knowledge of the system(s).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/526b3745-3a41-4599-ac91-dda5.jpg

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (12/11/2018)
"...inlet tube 1956 with a part number of B6A-9820-A but the tube in the bag has a tapco tag on it that says 56 thunderbird 9820-B and the thing isn't even shaped right.  The tube is supposed to be vertical so when you plug it into the elbow on the heat tube its supposed to wrap around the intake and straight up into the bottom of the air horn of the carb.  This thing if you hook it up properly would be pointed at the spark delay valve and its heavy steel.  I decided to order another one from Larrys this time at a tune of $20, its listed on his site as a p9820-B the -A comes up as a 55 with a different shape so hes not using OEM part numbers which my 56 with 292 would be a 9820-A not a 9820-B."

B6A 9820-A is for either the 56 FORD or 56 BIRD. Same system.

They cannot use OEM PN's as they are copyrighted. So it is a crap-shoot unless the vendor has correct knowledge of the system(s).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/526b3745-3a41-4599-ac91-dda5.jpg

Yep I figured bird and car were the same as they were the same engine.  I don't know wth is going on with this, here is a photo of what my choke inlet tube looks like.  The one I ordered from larrys also has a B suffix but the photo shows it will fit to my carb, this looks like it wasn't shaped right or something cause there is no way this would fit into the underside of the carb.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/70caccf5-4502-44b1-bc9d-fc7c.jpg

This is the photo Larry has for their b suffix part number version listed as '56 car/bird.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a55dc8f8-40fd-4f1f-84f5-62a0.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

That looks correct. See the install below -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/02c7d676-44bc-4e23-a159-f41f.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Your first photo of the tube is actually NOS. See the FORD TAG on it?

This is how it goes through the 56 H4000 Air Horn -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/34723cfc-2097-4fb6-bc02-89f1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e021840b-d7cb-405b-9ee3-e54f.jpg

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (12/11/2018)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/02c7d676-44bc-4e23-a159-f41f.jpg

So the inlet tube shouldnt be vertical when you hold it like its installed?

Cause one i have now you hold it vertical after all the bends the part that goes into the bottom of the carb hat is at a 45* angle.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I don't think the 2nd photo above is of a 56 H4000 (wrong year carb). There is no provision for the inlet tube. You see the hole on the 1st photo, right?

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (12/11/2018)

Hmm interesting. Looks like it should be more vertical but i guess it might be right. I just figured it fits into the air horn square not at an angle.

Anyways im going to bring my little brass hammer home from work tonight see if i can knock the old heat tube out tonight at least.

Then ill decide how to go about painting the intake. I stripped some off to cast iron but didnt do all paint is too damn thick to strip with a wire brush wheel.

Engine builder i know that bead blasted my aircleaner with glass bead he hasnt been at work the last couple of werks due to his mothers declining health.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter