Profile Picture

Trim Rings - Hard to find?

Posted By Rusty_S85 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
KULTULZ (12/9/2018)
The PARTS GUY description is correct other than ACCESSORIES (most) were included in the 18000 GROUP. ACC were included along with Chassis Basic 18000 PN's.

With the intro of the FORD P&A System, many things changed (incl bringing LM under the same system). Trim ring BASIC PN was changed to 1210 (from 18303) to put them within the WHEEL GROUP (1000).

You will begin noticing this in the 1960/64 MPC  Basic PN 1210. ACCESSORIES then went into a separate distinct section of the MPC.

Also remember the changes and dropping of obsolete PN's as time progressed. A lot of info was deleted and one would have to find a catalog of the wanted time period to find the original PN's along with a correct period OSI Catalog.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/521de6f2-9ecb-4a4c-8637-6ac8.jpg

well I have a reprint of the 1953-1957 Ford passenger car, thunderbird, and truck body parts catalog, cover says September 1956 on it guess I can take and look in there see if there is anything in it that might help.

Nope just thumbed through it, only covers body and paint.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
This is the Catalog (Type) you need to chase down CPA 18303-B.-

NumberDummy on the FTE Site should have this info. I have seen you over there. Maybe ask him to run it for you.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/482a8d6f-aa10-4fe3-af5a-aa2b.jpg

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

KULTULZ (12/9/2018)
This is the Catalog (Type) you need to chase down CPA 18303-B.-

NumberDummy on the FTE Site should have this info. I have seen you over there. Maybe ask him to run it for you.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/482a8d6f-aa10-4fe3-af5a-aa2b.jpg

That's who I asked yesterday he didn't see it in the parts and illustration manual don't know if he have that book or not but I can always shoot him an email and ask.

Is that the exact one I need the Feb 1962 one?  I was looking and found some volume Two, Volume Three, etc but no word on what the Volume 2 covers I assume it covers all 50`s.  The Volume 4 I was looking at is from 73 and covers 1950 - 1970 but states in description covers mostly 60s and 70s with some 50s.

I did how ever find a used Volume 2 for real cheap might just buy it so I don't have to keep asking NumberDummy all the time when I get stumped like this.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I can't say that is the issue you will need, it all depends on the date the PN was dropped. So NumberDummy couldn't track it down?

I had at one time the complete OSI microfiche cards and viewer but got rid on them thinking I would never need them again.

... moron ... Ermm

Maybe that CROWN VICTORIA CLUB could give you some info. Looks like you need to join though.

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (12/10/2018)
I can't say that is the issue you will need, it all depends on the date the PN was dropped. So NumberDummy couldn't track it down?

I had at one time the complete OSI microfiche cards and viewer but got rid on them thinking I would never need them again.

... moron ... Ermm

Maybe that CROWN VICTORIA CLUB could give you some info. Looks like you need to join though.

I don't know if NumberDummy checked.
I went ahead and ordered Volume 2 one it was only $12 with free shipping.

Im on the Crown Victoria club, been a member for almost 5 years now I think its year 4 I am starting on now.  The forums how ever are quite slow how ever which is why I came over on here as its more active.  I have a few posts on there asking questions that are from 2 years ago and got not a single reply to.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

"Im on the Crown Victoria club, been a member for almost 5 years now I think its year 4 I am starting on now.  The forums how ever are quite slow how ever which is why I came over on here as its more active.  I have a few posts on there asking questions that are from 2 years ago and got not a single reply to."

... hmmpf ...

One would think they would be more active.

They have no saved TECH INFO? Do thy say how many members there are?

Please share what you find in the OSI on this thread. I am wondering now if the rings were only offered as a dealer/over the counter option and not OEM Assembly available (thrown in truck for dealer prep). Do you see a publication date on the ACCESSORIES BROCHURE?

pintoplumber
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
Back in 2003 I bought wheels, hub caps, and trim rings from Coker tire. The wheels were Wheel Vintiques. The trim rings aren’t smooth they have maybe 3 ribs on them. 15” wheels. Maybe they still carry them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (12/10/2018)
"Im on the Crown Victoria club, been a member for almost 5 years now I think its year 4 I am starting on now.  The forums how ever are quite slow how ever which is why I came over on here as its more active.  I have a few posts on there asking questions that are from 2 years ago and got not a single reply to."

... hmmpf ...

One would think they would be more active.

They have no saved TECH INFO? Do thy say how many members there are?

Please share what you find in the OSI on this thread. I am wondering now if the rings were only offered as a dealer/over the counter option and not OEM Assembly available (thrown in truck for dealer prep). Do you see a publication date on the ACCESSORIES BROCHURE?

I would have to dig out my 2019 member roster to see how many members are there.  But there is some activity but its not like here.  They do have tech info saved and FAQs but I didn't see anything pertaining to trim rings.  most of it is mechanical in nature such as using a strip of carpet glued to your windshield pillar to stop the whistling noise when you drive down the road.

On my accessory brochure the front inside cover shows copyrighted 1955 Ford motor division.  back cover says reprinted under license 3-1-94.

I have another booklet I haven't looked for this yet its a pink booklet titled "all the facts about the '56 ford this is a reprint as well of a dealership brochure for the '56 year model.

When the OSI come sin I will check it out and post what I find if I find anything in there.

Little update, I got a reply from Bob Drake and they stated that its hard to tell but the trim rings do appear to be their 6A-18303-15 trim rings like I thought.  That coupled with Dennis Carpenter telling me their trim rings are correct for '56 and the photo showing a similar trim ring with the raised lip up against the hub of the rim.  Might be correct, anyways going to thumb through my dealership brochure booklet and see if I see anything about it in there.

Under the accessory section it lists wheel trim rings along with many other accessories available but doesn't go into detail about them.  Only the accessory booklet went into detail about them and how they have fingers to grip the rim

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

pintoplumber (12/10/2018)
Back in 2003 I bought wheels, hub caps, and trim rings from Coker tire. The wheels were Wheel Vintiques. The trim rings aren’t smooth they have maybe 3 ribs on them. 15” wheels. Maybe they still carry them.

I looked at wheel vintiques as I might have to get replacement rims as I have one rim that the bead is leaking I don't know if its cause the tire bead was damaged cause sears never cleaned the rim bead off and seated the tire on a piece of rust or what but it was fine till I had it broke down to replace the old leaking valve stem and it wouldn't stop leaking it was leaking fast after that.  Bandaid for now was some liquid rubber was applied on the tire and rim just for the time being.

I looked at their rims and they don't look like the oem ford rims so I would have to buy a set of five to have a matched set.  The trim rings I looked at them and the photo they provided doesn't look like what mine used to have on it years ago.  Maybe that's just a stock photo I am not sure.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

"I looked at their rims and they don't look like the oem ford rims so I would have to buy a set of five to have a matched set.  The trim rings I looked at them and the photo they provided doesn't look like what mine used to have on it years ago.  Maybe that's just a stock photo I am not sure."

Usually, if there is an air leakage at a steel wheel bead, it will be some foreign particle such as rust or old rubber. In the old days, one would clean the rim beads with a wire brush and if still leaking apply a little brake fluid to the tire bead itself.

Any who, I am beginning to think you want this car to appear as exact OEM assembly? If the rims are rusted, I would have them bead blasted and if good, a quality paint job. Aftermarket steel wheels will not be OEM correct.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter