Profile Picture

Trim Rings - Hard to find?

Posted By Rusty_S85 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
KULTULZ (12/11/2018)
"I looked at their rims and they don't look like the oem ford rims so I would have to buy a set of five to have a matched set.  The trim rings I looked at them and the photo they provided doesn't look like what mine used to have on it years ago.  Maybe that's just a stock photo I am not sure."

Usually, if there is an air leakage at a steel wheel bead, it will be some foreign particle such as rust or old rubber. In the old days, one would clean the rim beads with a wire brush and if still leaking apply a little brake fluid to the tire bead itself.

Any who, I am beginning to think you want this car to appear as exact OEM assembly? If the rims are rusted, I would have them bead blasted and if good, a quality paint job. Aftermarket steel wheels will not be OEM correct.

We did wire brush the rim and it still was leaking.  but the bead in the rubber tire had a deformation from being pressed against the rust flake since 2014 when the tire was mounted.  I am wondering if that is the cause.  I did have a leak when the tire was mounted but I did it cheap no valve stem and the leak was so slow it took months to go down.  I had the valve stem replaced and the leak it had after that was steady where it would have went down over night so I don't think my leak before was the bead from it being so slow I think it was the old 30+ year old valve stem.

My goal is to make the car look like it was just bought from the dealership.  I hate to get aftermarket rims but if I cant save these I will be forced to buy some oe look rims.  I thought about taking them to a wheel shop and see if they could fix the bead by welding the pits up and reshaping the bead I rather spend you know $500 on fixing all five rims this way than buying all new rims.

Then I don't know once I get to the point of bead blasting the rims and having them painted oem color and clear coated new tires might seal it might just be the bead on the rubber tire was deformed having that piece of rust between the beads.  It did have a good indentation.  But we put some of that liquid rubber on and it stopped leaking its been holding air for the past few weeks now.  I just don't know about when it comes time to blast the rims paint them and put the correct white wall tires on if I will have that problem again or not.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 26 minutes ago
Have you considered putting tubes in the tires?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Hoosier Hurricane (12/11/2018)
Have you considered putting tubes in the tires?

No I honestly haven't.  I thought tubes required special rims though?  I know the motorcycle we have we had to get a new rim off a different bike after it was wrecked and the new rim wouldn't take a tubeless valve stem as it had a unique opening just for use with tubes.  I guess its different for cars.  If I cant get it fixed properly I guess I would have to run a tube as a last resort.

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The wire wheels commonly sold for early birds require tubes. Has to do with the placement of the outer spokes. My bird ran those for 20 years with tubes in tubeless Coker radials. Have done the same with stock rims. Similar with my roadster with both bias plies and Coker bias look radials. Do some research, might need a special tube and proper mounting technique. But very doable, and not a problem on 1 or 4. But I’d bet the rim can be cleaned and repaired.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

miker (12/12/2018)
The wire wheels commonly sold for early birds require tubes. Has to do with the placement of the outer spokes. My bird ran those for 20 years with tubes in tubeless Coker radials. Have done the same with stock rims. Similar with my roadster with both bias plies and Coker bias look radials. Do some research, might need a special tube and proper mounting technique. But very doable, and not a problem on 1 or 4. But I’d bet the rim can be cleaned and repaired.

I think they will cause I was in the shop at discount when they broke the tire down for me and wirebrushed the edge where the rust flake was. It honestly looked smooth but it still wouldn't seal but I noticed the bead on the tire itself had a huge dimple in it I am wondering if that is why it kept leaking that the rust chip deformed the rubber bead so its not sitting flush. After wire brushing I didn't see any huge dimples in the iron at least not enough to cause a huge leak. Should be a easy fix for a wheel shop to bead blast the rims and then go over the bead to repair it to a smooth surface.

If that is the only tire that will give me trouble then I could always use it as my spare and take the spare and use it as one of the four wheels but it negates the purpose of rotating the tires the proper way using the spare tire as well.

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ok my OSI came in today it is Volume 3, think I will have to hunt down Volume 2 as the inside front cover states Volume 2 covers the period of Jan 1, 1955 to May 1, 1961.

But anyways I looked up the 18303 section to see if the CPA-18303-B is listed.  There is a 18303 number listed how ever its a B7A-18303-A and under disposition it states "Service details only".  The part number is a new part number for 1957 which means its a 14" trim ring if I am remembering right 57 was the first year for downsized rims.

Will see if I can track down a cheap Volume 2 to add to my collection and will check in there to see if I can track this 18303 number down and see whats going on.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

I have a sales booklet about the new '56 Fords, dated Aug. '55.  It shows probably every model available, and many cars are shown with dog dish hubcaps.. but none with trim rings.  Then on a page about accessories, they have a picture captioned "wheel covers, trim rings".  There is a picture with a simulated wire wheel cover, a '56 full wheel cover, and a trim ring that looks like the ones Kultulz included in one of his posts.  Unfortunately there are no listings in the text about accessories, nor any part numbers.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b3dde3af-18e5-4e5e-bf16-9c66.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Kultulz, Yep, that's the ad I referred to.  Thanks for posting it.  I'm too old and dumb to post pictures on the internet.  I can just barely respond to the posts.

Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Cant say that I have seen that ad before.  The accessory manual for cars and trucks for 1956 has just a small drawing of the trim rings so cant tell exactly how they should look.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter