Profile Picture

stuck motor

Posted By stuey 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
Hi folks
Vehicle is a 56 f100, front motor mount. Motor is 331 Y-block courtesy team Mummert. I have had it running on a test bed, sounded beautiful.
Lifted it into the truck and bolted it to the bell housing. (c4 conversion)  and found I had the wrong front motor mount. It did not reach the front cross member.
Got the correct one and bolted every thing up. Feeling very happy I started on a twin exhaust and kind of left the motor for a while. Two or three weeks ago
I decided to turn the motor over after it had stood for a month or more. It was stuck fast.
Must be something in the bell housing. I slacked off the bell housing bolts and the torque converter nuts . Still stuck.  Pistons frozen in the bores?
For three weeks I've administered ATF/acetone and bumped it with the starter. First I would be lucky if it moved a degree or two later I nearly got one revolution.
This morning I was watching the damper and I thought that's a bit shiny . The damper is rubbing the motor mount! Slacked the bolt and the motor whizzed over on the starter.
So do I put a shim between crank and the damper or maybe spot face the timing cover to move the motor mount closer to the motor.
Advice  or feel free to chuckle please.
stuey

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Is it a stock damper?

Lawrenceville, GA
stuey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Nope.  its a billet steel version from Mummert. Which he no longer carries.
I've been thinking, to shim the dampener out will throw my pulley alignment out. After spending a lot of time on getting it right and to spot face the timing cover may require shorter bolts so I will look at grinding clearance on the motor mount.
stuey

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
The early pickup dampers (actually more of a belt pulley than a damper) were smaller in diameter and using the later model harmonic dampers tends to create some interference issues on the ’54-‘56 pickups.  I have machined the early model front mounts so they would clear the larger diameter dampers but it’s usually easier to just use a later model front mount.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

stuey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted
I'm not certain what I have regards early or late motor mount, but I certainly have 2 different types. One which clears the damper does not reach the motor mount cross member and one that does reaches the cross member but does not clear the damper. I'll use the later and grind some clearance it should be well marked as to where the interference took place.
The joys of Y-blocks
stuey 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter