Profile Picture

low brake pedal

Posted By geo56 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I am a little irritated and concerned with the position of my brake pedal in my 56 victoria with manual brakes . All brake components including lines were replace at a rebuild about 10 years 40,000 miles ago. At the time I had a friend help me bleed the system with him pumping the pedal and me opening the bleeder fittings. At the time I settled for about 2 inches of travel on the pedal no matter how much we bled the system. I have always compensated by pumping the pedal 3 times quickly and got a taller pedal as a result. Master cylinder seems ok as the pedal does not sink to the floor with constant pressure. I see no leaks at the master or wheel cylinders and the car stops fine without pulling to one side or squealing. A couple weeks ago I bought a self bleeding tool that sucks the fluid from each cylinder one at a time and saw no improvement if I didn,t make it a little worse. I also raised the car on all fours and adjusted the shoes to drag on each drum perhaps more than I think they should and I still have to give the pedal 3 quick pumps to get the pedal height that feels safe. Any advice will be appreciated .   George  

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post low brake pedal By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The bolt that attaches the rod to the brake pedal arm is an eccentric.... By MoonShadow ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Do you have the stock single chamber master or did you or a PO convert... By Dobie ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have the stock single chamber master cylinder and have turned the... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post pumping the brakes to get a better pedal indicates (1) there is too... By Gene Purser ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post All parts were ordered from Concours at the same time: new master... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The only thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the fit of the shoes.... By miker ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]geo56 (11/3/2018)[/b][hr] All parts were ordered from... By Talkwrench ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post geo56 Posted - "I am a little irritated and concerned with the... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Did you bench bleed the Master Cylinder before it was installed? By Rono ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I did not bench beeld the master cylinder. I assumed It would bleed... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have the same problem with my Manual Brakes on my 56. New Cylinders,... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The MC must be bled before attaching lines (GOOD POINT!). Shoe arcing... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post oldcarmark Posted - "I would like to know about this "Residual Valve"... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you decide to remove the master cylinder to bleed it properly,... By Rono ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks for the advice on bench bleeding the master cylinder. I find it... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I found the Residual Check Valve in the Parts Catalog. Internal in the... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I purchased a new Power Booster and Single Master Cylinder to install... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post eBay item number:350589822554 The Seller I bought this Power Booster... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you are not going to disc/drum and still using a SGL RSVR MC, why... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post geo56 Posted - "I find it curious however that the original shop... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Here is a simple and cheap kit - By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]KULTULZ (11/4/2018)[/b][hr] If you are not going to... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post oldcarmark- The Adjustable Prop Valve was recommended as part of the... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Residual pressure valves are usually found only on drum brake masters.... By paul2748 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post When all the dust and smoke clears, it is usually improper shoe... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post 2 inches of brake pedal is just as good as a full one..your shoes not... By darrell ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post i forgot to add bleeding your master cylinder will not help.you only... By darrell ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post ...'ya know ... This is exactly why I try to avoid brake theory... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Back to my Question regarding the Residual Check Valve. The Supplier... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post oldcarmark Posted - "Back to my Question regarding the Residual... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The likely cause that you posted was blocked out by the shop manual... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post George can you help me to understand what it is about your brakes that... By Pete 55Tbird ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post After driving a bit and I mash down on the brake pedal to slow or stop... By geo56 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post A spongy pedal is an indication of air in the system. I would guess... By Rono ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you don't have a combination valve or a residual pressure valve... By paul2748 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I’m just thinking out loud here, and maybe not clearly. But if you... By miker ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]paul2748 (11/5/2018)[/b][hr] If you don't have a... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post There can be issues if the brake pedal push rod is too long. It's been... By FORD DEARBORN ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]FORD DEARBORN (11/5/2018)[/b][hr] There can be issues if... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have always been amazed at brake theory discussions- paul2748... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have always been amazed at brake theory discussions- paul2748... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post OK... Something wrong with my browser. Tried to explain again but... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Olcaarmark: It has been mentioned several times in this thread to... By FORD DEARBORN ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]FORD DEARBORN (11/6/2018)[/b][hr] Olcaarmark: It has... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Your problem on your 56 Ford is your master cylinder is not moving... By monarch ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post ... i'll be damned ... THANX monarch! The deterioration/absence of... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well, there have been no further comments but this is what must have... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Had a low pedal that drove me nuts on my 56.I made my push rod... By monarch ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I can't help going back to the master cylinder. Given all new parts... By MoonShadow ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post There is probably a specification for pedal height in the shop manual.... By charliemccraney ( 6 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter