Profile Picture

Y block clutch recommendation

Posted By willys392 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I'm building a 56 F100 with a 292 and T5 transmission.  I have both a 10" and 11" flywheel.  It's more a hot rod truck rather than a work truck.  Which would be best for the street.  
thanks
Bill

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Probably 11" for more options.  Make sure the flywheel is not cracked.  If there are any cracks, it's scrap, get a new one.

Have a look at the end of this thread if you have not already for some potential trouble areas regarding the clutch.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic15164-1.aspx
I ended up going with an aftermarket hydraulic throwout bearing and it has been awesome.  No clutch actuation issues since making that change.

Lawrenceville, GA
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

thanks Mr. C
I have the bellhousing already modified and I have John's special throwout bearing. I have a 10" (56 car) flywheel and an 11" (62 truck) flywheel.  Just needed some input on which one to use. By the way, that's some real good info there on your swap Charlie. 
thanks
Bill
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

You will have more options using the 11" pattern so that's the one you want,

Lawrenceville, GA
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

roger that.
 I guess some early FE clutches will work. eg. 63 Galaxie with a 352.
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

sorry, that should be 406, not 352. Luk clutch set at Napa.
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I'm using an 11" flywheel with a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate. Very easy pedal pressure. On my 56 Customline I am still using the standard release bearing, but I my 37 coupe I am using a Wilwood pull type slave cylinder that mounts off the side of the tranny case with a bracket. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Go to Summit's site, select all of the requirements and see your options.  Any clutch with the correct bolt pattern, diameter and spline should mount to the flywheel and fit the transmission.  I don't think an FE clutch will have the correct spline.

Since it is more hot rod, get something better than some standard replacement that you will find at a local parts store.  I use a Centerforce dual friction but it is a Mustang 10.4" so I can't help with a part number.  Very light pedal for the power it should be able to handle.  Even lighter after the swap to a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I also have the Centerforce dual   friction clutch behind the  312 in my 54.  Worked out real good.  Used the standard throw-out bearing, using a top loader 4 speed.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'd go with the 11".
Use a diaphragm style pressure plate ( '62 406 LUK), not a  3 finger Long style. Your left leg will appreciate it!

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter