Profile Picture

Oil out the fill

Posted By skyhunter 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Running the hose might tell you something. But the symptoms you describe, oil pumping out the oil fill and smoking is classic for a PCV valve stuck closed as 1960 stated above. I’ve seen cars with closed PCV systems (oil fill routed to the air cleaner) pour so much oil in the carb the engine loads up and quits.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
skyhunter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sorry.  The road draft tube was removed and was sent right to the back of the intake.  It was a PU engine but had an earlier style pan that I replaced with a new pan and PCV.  The PCV now goes to the hole on the intake just before the carb.  The connection in the back only seemed to feed 2 cylinders.

The rings must be seriously worn.  Oil is coming from the oil fill all over the passenger side and the tail pipes smokes after acceleration.  It goes through a quart after a couple hundred miles.

I disconnected the PCV and ran a heater hose for a draft tube to see if the smoking tail pipe remains unchanged.

1959 Edsel Ranger, 1916 Ford "speedster"
"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have a pcv setup like that on my truck.  Change the pcv valve.  I had issues and it was bad brand new out of the box.   $3-4 for another one is cheap insurance. Otherwise you've got a lot of blowby.   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
MUMMERT offers two styles of covers, the early road draft version (with the road draft on the LF engine lower skirt) and a style for later engines that actually had a road draft tube on top of the engine or PCV System.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1eada0ee-f1ae-4008-a7f5-8c88.jpg

The Y ran from 1954 to 1964 so there were several design/revision of CCV (Crankcase Ventilation)

Does this help?

PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I don't know about others on here, but I'm confused!  Post states that the rear draft tube opening is closed ?..then the photo shows what appear to be a PCV valve in that position.. then an other hose going to a fitting connected to what?.. Like to help but I'm lost..   

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

"It's worse than speed parts, it's bling..."

HEY! I was young once too...

Now you need to louver the hood to show it off...

If your cover has this baffle, you are good to go -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6c674860-c970-4e1e-ac28-d0a6.jpg

When you pull the valve out while running, do you feel suction as you put your thumb over the valve?

skyhunter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

http://www.ford-y-block.com/valleycovers.htm

It's worse than speed parts, it's bling

"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

"It's a Mummert valley pan the has the baffled grommet boss and a V8 PVC (I wish it was a 90 but it's straight) that he listed.

I don't know the year but I think it's from a very early 60s PU.  The Intake is from god knows what but I put a fitting in that opening just forward of the Carb for the PCV line.

I know from the manual the oil tube is supposed to be a "suck" not a "blow".  No vacuum gauge but I can get one I guess.

The original had a road draft tube in the same place but someone ran a line from it right into where that threaded block is in the back of the intake you can just see in my picture."

OK. You need the gauge. It is a combination fuel pressure/vacuum gauge and is invaluable for something like this. One should be about twenty dollars (quality).

The vacuum source @ the manifold you have is fine. It is OEM style (verify once you get gauge - maybe something built a hive in there). Truthfully, at the carb spacer would be better but FORD only used that setup on the LT 292 4V setup.

You have to verify correct manifold vacuum and the setups ability to draw a partial vacuum in the crankcase first.

It's a MUMMERT cover? I will have to look at one (I was never able to afford $$$ speed parts) ... Wink

Get back.

skyhunter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It's a Mummert valley pan the has the baffled grommet boss and a V8 PVC (I wish it was a 90 but it's straight) that he listed.

I don't know the year but I think it's from a very early 60s PU.  The Intake is from god knows what but I put a fitting in that opening just forward of
the Carb for the PCV line.

I know from the manual the oil tube is supposed to be a "suck" not a "blow".  No vacuum gauge but I can get one I guess.

The original had a road draft tube in the same place but someone ran a line from it right into where that threaded block is in the back of the intake you can just see in my picture.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b620f4d5-38bd-4a2f-8aa7-4a25.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6826689c-c3e0-4ed0-a654-3bcb.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ  This is a 292 from a Pick Up and had a road tube out the back.  It is closed off.  It did not have the opening forward.   

OK. Do you know by any chance the year of the engine  or what year pickup it came out of?

It sounds like the PCV is inoperative or blow-by is overpowering the system. Is the PCV placed where the original road draft tube was?

Can you show a photo(s) of the install?   Do you have a vacuum gauge? If the gauge shows a partial vacuum, you are on the right track. If it shows pressure, either inoperative or overpowered.    

Reading This Topic

Site Meter