Profile Picture

More Cardone Distributor Problems

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Cardone starting using too short Shafts about 18 Mos. ago. 1/4"  too short. The Ones prior to that should be fine. They ran out of good original Cores and started making what I call Frankensteins using Small Block Ford Cores and passing them off as correct for Y Block. They don't sit on the Pad inside the Block, the Oil Pump Shafts don't go in far enough, and the Drive Gear sits 1/4 " too high. Now they seem to have withdrawn them for sale as everywhere I checked they are indicating "not available". Good thing too.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
oldcarmark (10/4/2018)
Cardone starting using too short Shafts about 18 Mos. ago. 1/4"  too short. The Ones prior to that should be fine.

I bought one of the imposters in April, 2016, so it's been a little longer than that.
------
You'll have to pull the distributor and check. It's obvious once you know what to look for. The bottom of the distributor gear itself, the machined surface pad, the distance from that point to the distributor housing flange that sits on the block, must measure between 4.991" and 4.996" with the distributor shaft pulled down.
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

The Length from the bottom of the flat Pad that sits on the Block to the end of the Shaft should be 6". The wrong  one's are 5 3/4". Quite noticeable when measured. When these were purchased there was a note inside the Box stating that the Rebuilt should be compared with the One being replaced for correct Dimensions.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I think most of the Cardone rebuilds are done in Mexico so I hope they are all headed south of the border..
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Actually it's the Idiot at Cardone who came up with this Idea who should be heading Somewhere- like out the Door!

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Thanks OldcarMark. I won't worry the next time I start my 56.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

oldcarmark (10/4/2018)
Actually it's the Idiot at Cardone who came up with this Idea who should be heading Somewhere- like out the Door!
So True..

Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

56_Fairlane (10/4/2018)
I bought one a few years ago and it seems ok but I haven't put much mileage on it.

How could you know for sure unless you remove it and check it out? It will seem ok, until it isn't.
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

A side note on 1957-58 distributors,  according to J. Mummert.. "If" being used in a high performance engine, those models had more centrifical advance than later distributors & were originally intended to run about 3* of initial advance. John points out that high performance cams usually need more initial advance to run properly, this can result in excessive total advance, risking "detonation issues"...     

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I bought my Cardone distributor about a year ago.  I have read about the advance issue with the 57 distributors.   I time my engines with a vacuum gauge. I have found that to be the best way to optimize the timing. Each engine is different.  I also run high test gas in my Y Blocks.  My car also has a manual transmission so I have less trouble with detonation than someone with an automatic.   The end cap on the 1957 vacuum advance is still there, so I got lucky.  I'll move the points and condenser over and see what happens.  Those Frankenstein Cardone distributors are going to bite someone.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter