Profile Picture

Generator light

Posted By Moz 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Just put a new voltage regulator on the ute, the old one had an intermittent fault it would only work sometimes, the new one is from Dennis Carpenter and since fitting it I now have a gen light that starts to glow as the revs build (around 3500-4000 rpm), following their instructions I polarized it and it does put a quick charge into the battery after starting but then drops to 12.50 volts and stays there even when I have all the lights on. I've never had the Gen light come on before I fitted the Carpenter regulator, has anyone else had a problem with them ?

moz. geelong victoria australia.

graduate 1980, bus, truck, car, hot rod, boat, submarine, hovercraft, hydrafoil, firetruck, mobile home, jet, helicopter, cruise ship, motorcycle, bicycle, santa's sleigh, clock, alloy bullbar, alloy fuel tank, lens, dr who's tardis, matter - anti matter warp drive buffer & y-block lover

Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
What is the condition of the generator itself? Brushes cause a fair amount of trouble. There are simple troubleshooting procedures that can be performed to isolate to either the generator or regulator. Analog voltmeter is preferred. An ammeter capable of measuring at least 30 amps is necessary, though you can maybe get away without that. This troubleshooting is where the shop manuals come in handy.

Be sure to use only the Ford or type "B" tests and connections or risk ruining the regulator. Generator output test (current) is one test, the field should also be tested for a couple volts output, you can try "motoring" the generator (this also polarizes it, incidentally) and a "full fielding" test.
Moz
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

one brush in the gen was no good I replaced both and polarized the generator, all of the tests in the workshop manual except the ammeter ones have been performed, the generator is well within specs, when I get a chance on the weekend I will put the old reg back on and see if the light glows when I accelerate, I will also see if on my tunescope  it has an ammeter, hopefully I can have some more answers then

graduate 1980, bus, truck, car, hot rod, boat, submarine, hovercraft, hydrafoil, firetruck, mobile home, jet, helicopter, cruise ship, motorcycle, bicycle, santa's sleigh, clock, alloy bullbar, alloy fuel tank, lens, dr who's tardis, matter - anti matter warp drive buffer & y-block lover

Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Have you checked your battery cells with a hydrometer?

"FREE SAMPLE"
Moz
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Brand new battery

56Roger
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)

I like to solve problems myself whenever possible as much as anyone. But when it comes to some aspects of automobile electronics (even the old stuff) I learned a long time ago the best thing may be to take a trip to an auto electric shop. Sooner than later. Have had a few problems that I hadn't solved fixed in minutes for hardly any money. No wasted and possibly expensive parts changing and other unnecessary fooling around.

"Oh you just need to do this."

Done.

Happened to me two or three times over the years. Enough to make me wise up. And learn something at the same time.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
"...the new one is from Dennis Carpenter and since fitting it I now have a gen light that starts to glow as the revs build (around 3500-4000 rpm), following their instructions I polarized it and it does put a quick charge into the battery after starting but then drops to 12.50 volts and stays there even when I have all the lights on."

Is it a mechanical VR? Any mention (instructions) of it's needing to be adjusted to the GEN?

A new battery is not always fully functional.

Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

56Roger (10/5/2018)
I like to solve problems myself whenever possible as much as anyone. But when it comes to some aspects of automobile electronics (even the old stuff) I learned a long time ago the best thing may be to ....

Yes, but most of the graybeards are just about retired at this point or at the Whispering Pines by now. Even some of the independents who are still around though old enough to have some knowledge base it just seems like they really don't want to be bothered with it. If you CAN find a motor shop, I would agree. Take both the regulator and generator in and they can set it up.
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (10/5/2018)
"...the new one is from Dennis Carpenter and since fitting it I now have a gen light that starts to glow as the revs build (around 3500-4000 rpm), following their instructions I polarized it and it does put a quick charge into the battery after starting but then drops to 12.50 volts and stays there even when I have all the lights on."

Is it a mechanical VR? Any mention (instructions) of it's needing to be adjusted to the GEN?

A new battery is not always fully functional.

I wondered about that. At a slow idle, the battery is cutout and 12.50 volts is expected because no charging is taking place. Spool up the RPM to 2000 or so and then measure. If the GEN light is illuminated though, there is a problem.

Generator regulators are "always" mechanical; it is possible to use a VR from a early 70s Volkswagen I'm told, but I haven't tried it. Regulator adjustment is VERY touchy and many a battery or generator has been smoked by the "Golden Screwdriver"; they should be pre-set from the factory and very close to optimum without any adjustment needed unless Mr. Goodwrench has already been in there at some point.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
It used to be that a mechanical regulator may have had to be adjusted for season, the VR being sensitive to temp change. Then you had burnt points, sticking and all kinds of possible ailments. Adjustment is described in detail in the appropriate year SHOP MANUAL.

There is a solid state VR available for a GEN..

Reading This Topic

Site Meter