Profile Picture

Engine paint color ?

Posted By PF Arcand 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Further to the Red engine color discussions.. Some mentioned Dupli- Color engine paint, CDE 1605 Ford Red. It's not the same Red as "old stock" Plasti Coat #206, but their later stock ( apparently by Valspar) isn't either  so that's irelevant.. The CDE 1605 is definately not orangy looking, although as pointed out by a relative who has worked as a painter, it has somewhat of a brown tone to it. For instance, it's definately not a tool box Red either..   
N.B.- I'm now informed by an aftermarket parts supplier that VHT paints are now owned by Duplicolor.. Trying to find an engine Red that isn't orangy is getting annoying!.. 

Paul
Rusty_S85
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ea027bbf-b924-4781-83a2-ed23.jpg

I tend to like to use original ads but its hit and miss as I highly doubt the fuel and vacuum lines were yellow so I don't think that orangy red shown is the correct color how ever.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b86e4e6f-79fa-4f70-8ac9-0f5a.jpg

The above photo is taken of my '56 292 manifold this was removed some time in the 70s I want to say and it was sitting under a piece of old carpet/rug till I brought it home.

The Por15 matched perfectly as I cleaned it up and brush painted over and the color was just a slight tad more red but that is to be expected with age.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/74b73ae2-a2ce-4220-9b56-c74c.jpg

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Rusty 85; Sorry, this is a late reply..That POR Red looks correct. Is there a specific mix # & is it somewhat heat resistant?

Paul
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
PF Arcand (1/18/2019)
Rusty 85; Sorry, this is a late reply..That POR Red looks correct. Is there a specific mix # & is it somewhat heat resistant?

That's ok, I got mine from Amazon due to my free prime shipping didn't want to pay for the shipping from summit for just one quart can.

Part number for the POR 15 is 42098 and is called classic Ford red enamel.  I brushed painted mine with some cheap chip brushes I got from amazon.

Heat rating is up to 350*F and is guaranteed to not burn off.

Ive been running the car quite a bit and have to say it hasn't burned off on my heat cross over and I am running regular stock felpro intake gaskets with no restrictors on the cross over.  The driver side cross over is a tad dull looking but that happened as for some reason the holley 4000 on my 3rd running started pouring fuel out on the driverside.  Shut engine off pulled aircleaner and restarted to see where it was coming from and nothing didn't do it again.

Below are some fully assembled photos taken after a few heat cycles.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/431f35a3-98c3-425c-a7a2-0b0f.jpg

You can see the heat cross over is a tad dull looking just under the aircleaner.  That was caused by gas pouring out of the carb for some reason.

The water pump was painted years ago with duplicolor Ford/Chrysler engine red which I always felt was never right it didn't seem red enough then I came across the Por 15 when I was looking and saw it listed on Summit as Classic Ford Red.

This is before I got the heater valve replaced so this was before I ran the engine.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3831ceff-4d99-4db1-950a-d761.jpg

Im real happy with the paint though.  If I ever strip the engine down for a repaint or a rebuild what ever happens I will be using Por 15 but I wont brush it on I am going to thin it down like it states you can and spray it on for better coverage.

Just remember to follow the directions it says you have to wait 3 days for it to cure before you run the engine.  You can handle the part in a few hours it will be dry just wont be fully cured for 3 days.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Rusty: That looks very close to the "old stock" Plasti Kote #206 Ford engine Red.. Thanks for the information. I'll look into it..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter