Profile Picture

Oil pan leak

Posted By valencia 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi Everybody;

Just a quick item, I have an oil leak at the drain plug of my 55 Fairlane.  I've tried several things but it stil leaks.  Yes, it only leaks when the engine is not running.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thasnks

Valencia
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
This could use some more information on the fixes you’ve already attempted.  Is this the original oil pan with the 7/8”-16 drain plug or the later model oil pan with the ½”-20 plug?  The different size plugs have different approaches to fixing any oil seepage from them or fixing damaged threads.  Using a fiber gasket in lieu of the copper gasket would be something to try if you haven't done that yet assuming the threads are good.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

valencia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Yes,   I have already tried several types of gaskets in lieu of the original type.  This is  the original engine so it has the 7/8 ths threaded plug.  Big plug,.  The threads seem to be okay on both pieces, plug and pan.  Thanks for the info.  
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
You might consider replacing the drain plug with a valve, and seal it with black RTV. Sure simplifies oil change (you’ll never again have to fish the plug out of the drain pan!).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Have you tried the plastic/nylon washers?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

valencia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Yes, I've tried plastic, rubber and cork.  Same result.  Thanks for the reply.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I too had a similar problem with my '64 F100 drain plug weeping. After trying different gaskets, some with more success than others, I threaded the plug in with out a gasket and discovered the drain plug is crooked just enough to leave a gap at one area between the plug flange and pan.  Probably due to someone setting the engine down not properly supported. I clean the plug, wipe off the pan and apply a small amount of heavy duty gasket maker RTV to the plug flange before screwing it in. Wipe off any excess RTV, fill with oil and problem solved. I still use a thin neoprene gasket though. Been doing this for alost 8 years now. Otherwise a new bung would probably have to be fabricated and welded in. Hope this helps, JEFF................................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
valencia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks for this great idea.  I appreciate all of the ideas and it sounds like this one should work.  I will give it a try and post results.

Thanks again
Talkwrench
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Are you really sure its from the plug because there are plenty of other places it will come from and end up there..?  Make sure the sealing/ mating surfaces are flat and im sure if you use either copper or fibre washer it will seal. I always blast clean with electrical contact cleaner and air, apply some non hardening sealant and never a leak [from there] on any of my cars, I re-use the washers over and over.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
valencia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Yes I am pretty sure it is coming from the oil pan plug.  When the engine is running there is no leaking, but when the engine is turned off there is a small amount of oil that is dripping from the plug.  Thanks for the reply.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter