Profile Picture

Rear main

Posted By Aaron 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I have used Amsoil Synthetic 10-40 for many years without any issues. It's formulated for flat tappet lifters. Here's a link; https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/premium-protection-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AMOQT-EA

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Read and copied Ted's directions and made a ph call, got a real helpfull gent on the ph and got schooled some more.
It looked like i may not have got sealer between the retainer and the block, the crank had been turned .020 but idon't think the seal area has been as it is a stand alone area on the crank so it wouldn't be ground at the same time,replaced with the 312 seal from Best and it looks to have sealed up I put a few miles on it this weekend at a show and all seems good,.
 I ended up going with 10/30 valveoline and put a can of the ZZDP in and called it good.

Thanks for all the help.
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
dello 400 is for diesel engines,with use low sulphur fuel.
. use a 10 30   oil from walmart. pens oil or valvoline are all good oils. they need no additives. i have copy of extensive oil tests and adding stuff is risky as there are chemicals that replace additives so 1 must know what oil has for additive before additional adetives are used. oil for diesel engines is looking for major failures.in flat tappet gas engines.
still say the rear seal retainer is a major cause of oil leaks.
Dobie
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've always had a concern about diesel oil detergents being too harsh for a gas engine over the long term. I use the Valvoline 10-40 also.
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I used the same oil but Ted keeps warning that the newest configuration eats up bearings (or something like that) so I'm switching to Valvoline 10-40 which Ted Eaton uses in his engines.  He doesn't say that he uses any type of zinc additive.

oldcarmark (4/16/2018)
Shell Rotella 15W40 which still  has sufficient Zinc in it to not require additional added. That's what I have been told and that's what I use.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

.Good advice -  I looked up Castro GTX 20-50 and the data sheets didn't show ZDDP or zinc.  I called their tech line and the lady answering refused to  give me the info on either one.
charliemccraney (4/16/2018)
The retainer should have studs and the threads need thread sealer.

You will get all sorts of answers about oil so to keep it simple, just about any oil will do, with a little due diligence on your part.  If you use an oil with less than the suggested amount of zinc and phosphorous, either halve the oil change interval or use an additive.  If the oil already has adequate levels, do not add a zinc and phosphorous additive - more is not better.  You can usually find the product information sheet, which will tell you the amount of additives that are in the oil, on the manufacturer's website and if you can't find it there, you can email and ask for it.  Possibly the easiest thing to do is ask your favorite brand what they suggest.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Shell Rotella 15W40 which still  has sufficient Zinc in it to not require additional added. That's what I have been told and that's what I use.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
The retainer should have studs and the threads need thread sealer.

You will get all sorts of answers about oil so to keep it simple, just about any oil will do, with a little due diligence on your part.  If you use an oil with less than the suggested amount of zinc and phosphorous, either halve the oil change interval or use an additive.  If the oil already has adequate levels, do not add a zinc and phosphorous additive - more is not better.  You can usually find the product information sheet, which will tell you the amount of additives that are in the oil, on the manufacturer's website and if you can't find it there, you can email and ask for it.  Possibly the easiest thing to do is ask your favorite brand what they suggest.

Lawrenceville, GA
LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
20w50

Hyvinkää, FI
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Looks to be the seal with the flywheel cover off I have oil flinging off the back of the crank when running,I'll also see to the pan bolts on the retainer, this engine has about 200 miles on it and last seal change I went to Delo 400 15/40 and some Lucas Zinc plus, what are you guys using for oil, multi vis or a straight weight.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter