Profile Picture

'57 Front Suspension

Posted By Ford Junky 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey there from Prince George B.C. Canada, I'm a new guy round here and am doing some planning before tearin into my '57 Ranchero once the snow melts. I'm lookin for thoughts on front suspension ideas for it. I would like rack and pinon steering, good handling, and modern (read effective) brakes. I was going to do some measuring and see how a Crown Vic setup lines up but I remember reading somewhere its not a good fit. The plan is for the car to be a regular driver and some spirited cornering is likely to be a significant part of that. The plan is for a built Y Block and a 6 speed.

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Welcome to the site. I’m just south of Seattle, which by your distances isn’t that far.

First, the 57 fords had a pretty decent front end, especially if rebuilt and aligned to more modern specs for radial tires. Front disc kits are pretty readily available. If scarebird is back up and shipping (they moved from Everett, WA to Albuquerque NM) they’ve got bracket kits and you can buy the rest of the parts list locally. Given shipping and duties that might be a pretty good deal for you

Front clips tend to be a major undertaking, and often don’t really work out that well. The ones I’ve seen always feel like a modern front bolted to an old back, not like the modern car they came out of. Likewise with a r&p conversion. The one in my 55 bird works perfect, but you don’t want to know what it cost to get rid of the bump steer, especially after I went to 225/60 15”’s on 7” rims. The slightly faster ratio would only matter if you’re going to autocross the car.

Try over on the Ford Barn, I think there’s a social group for the 57 cars, or at http://57fordsforever.com.

For the Y block, Mummert’s site is a good start. Tim McMasters and Eaton Balancing also have great info. And here of course.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
macs have all the parts to refresh the front suspension,they have all the stuff to rebuild the stock power steering. to get good brakes go for power disk kits, best to use 15in wheels. idid all this on my 57 ranchero except discs. there is a bracket avail to help to inst workable power booster. but more 
effort than its worth. i am in surrey bc just sold my ranchero, but it handled well and with a 292 with a holley  4v  and a 3speed manual,rather quick with  good heads and shadbolt cam.. i have a pair of heads for ys they have 1.9 intakes nd new springs etc,also rebuilt rocker assembly. if interested give me a call . cliff 778 5741940 to ct1940@ shaw.ca.. fun ride this rancheros.

Ford Junky
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Mike, thanks for the reply, and you're right Seattle isn't that far at all. Been there many times. I'm fully aware that clipping a car is a major undertaking but if that's what I need to do to get the results I'm after I would be willing to do it. autocross is not at all out of the realm of possibilities. Id like the car to really cook in the corners, or at least as good as I can possibly get it. I've been to Scarebirds site and am hoping for something a bit more aggressive in the braking dept than what they offer, maybe my handling/braking goals are too ambitious, but I'm aiming for a real solid, fun driving experience and I tend to push my vehicles pretty hard. 
  Ive been doing tons of reading and planning on both Mummert's and Eaton's sites and a set of John's heads and an intake will definitely be part of the build. I appreciate the input, thank you very much.  
Ford Junky
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Cliff, thank you for the info on Macs, Ill have a look at their offerings for sure .My Ranchero is a Lower Mainland car as well, from Chilliwack. been parked for a buncha years though. I appreciate the offer on the heads, but I have my heart set on a pair of Mummert's alloy units on this build.
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Another place to check out might be Drop & Stop. He offers lowered spindles with Disc Brakes. Unfortunately, to get a good brake setup on a 57 (I'm told) requires either Granada Monarch 14" wheels or other 15" wheels. Rack & pinion steering is likely a significant project. On 55-56s some used Cavalier parts, but apparently that setup reduces ground clearance quite some. Another route that might help is to use a 1958 Ford steering box, because it's a recirculating ball setup. However, buy the entire steering columm or you will run into a headache with the revised from 1957 Horn setup.. Don't ask me to explain not doing it that way..   

Paul
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

The front suspension is really pretty good, weak point is the sway bar and there is good after market bar to fix that. Tons of info on suspension, steering and brakes on 57's, come join us.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
If that’s where you want to end up, start here. Art’s in Fife on the north side of Tacoma. I’ve seen this 57 several times at shows, including when it was under construction.

https://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=24062

Here’s the catalog. They’re really nice people, and the shop’s very impressive. I can give you more into if you pm me.

https://www.artmorrison.com/2006cat/2018_ame_catalog_LR.pdf

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Observation. If you plan on staying with the Y-block & I'm sure everyone on this site would agree with that, I can't see what you would gain going to the expense & work of clippin the car?  And not to mention that I've seen a couple of clip jobs that didn't turn out well!.. The 57 Frame was a complete re de of the 54-56 Frame & featured a re calibrated ball joint front end..    

Paul
GREENBIRD56
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

There are (at least) three components to what you might want to do:
(1) Upgrade the brakes to discs - and perhaps add a power unit. Drop n Stop is a good source of uprights, a Lincoln Versailles of the right year - or you can hunt down a set of '71-'73 Mustang / Cougar spindles (same as a Boss Mustang) and use any one of a dozen good kits to soup them up. Many of the later disc (and drum) brake uprights have their spindles set to a lower ride height - and depending on how you fit the early ball joint tapers, you can really put her down in the weeds. Many have done this and it is a proven change that works well.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/03b33803-c8f5-49cc-a3bd-abcf.jpg
(2) Move the lower ball joint / A-arm ahead to correct the caster to something a bit more stable. Mid fifties Fords steer like a tricycle and don't follow "center" like more modern geometry. Easy to do on an early T-bird, not so easy on your outfit - but worth looking into. Only 10 years later, the TransAm Mustang had a much better set-up and it is worth copying.
(3) Look for a proven steering upgrade - there have been several rack and pinion set-ups built and used by fellows on this site. The little Pinto/Mustang rack is a "front steer" and won't work. Most I've seen used GM parts.    

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter