Profile Picture

Carb to intake gasket?

Posted By PF Arcand 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I'm installing a Ford Autolite 4100 on a ECZ-B intake which for those not familiar with that manifold, has raised flanges, not a completely flat surface. Bought a Mr Gasket (?) #55 gasket. Fitting it, found the venturie holes are too big & it's very likely going to leak vacuum & or fuel. Anybody know of a gasket make with a bit smaller holes? I found someone with a 60s Mustang on the internet that had the same issue, but no positive solution was offered..   Thanks 

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 31 minutes ago
As long as the gasket seals the outer perimeter of the flange, it will be fine.  I never had any trouble with the common gaskets, which are 1 3/4" bore with the B intake.  I think the Mr Gasket #55 is one of the closest matches to the stock flange.

I ran out and checked a 1 3/4" gasket on a modified B intake and the holes look like they will just barely seal.  I don't have a #55 gasket but I do have a Holley 390 carb spacer and the holes in that are 1 15/32" which should match about perfectly with the B intake.  I can check that on an unmodified intake tomorrow to see how the inner diameter matches up but this should give you an idea.  They are all square bore so the hole centers should be the same.

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

When I went to the Holley 390 I found the correct size gaskets at my local O'Reileys auto parts store sorry don't recall the part number.  I couldn't find a correct size 1" phenolic spacer so I had to sandwich two 1/2" together.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Speedway Motors sell 1" 390 carb spacers.  They're the only place I've found them.

Lawrenceville, GA
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Thanks Charlie & Jim. The #55 gasket does have 1-3/4" holes & they barely cover, maybe by 1/16th" Not going with that..  I'll check into getting a Holley 390 cfm gasket. Also, I considered a 1" phenolic spacer, however using a stock air cleaner on a 57 car it's very doubtfull it will clear the hood.  Unfortunately, O'Reillys doesn't operate in western  Canada & Speedway is a U.S.A. order.  I'll have to check elsewhere.  

Paul
Joe-JDC
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Why not make your own gasket from gasket stock?  Most parts stores sell gasket material in sheets.  Whenever I need something that is odd size or shape, I use that, and trim with a small scissor, or knife.  Make a simple imprint of base by rubbing over the sheet material with hand or ball peen hammer, and cut out following the lines.  Joe-JDC

JDC
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
GOOGLE C2AZ 9447-E. They are still available.
You shouldn't need much over a 1/4" phenolic spacer (IMO).

57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

charliemccraney (2/22/2018)
Speedway Motors sell 1" 390 carb spacers.  They're the only place I've found them.
[/quote]
At the time I tried to order one they were out  of stock and I was told the supplier had machine problems and they didn't know when they would get them again, they may have them now [quote]

57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PF Arcand (2/22/2018)
Thanks Charlie & Jim. The #55 gasket does have 1-3/4" holes & they barely cover, maybe by 1/16th" Not going with that..  I'll check into getting a Holley 390 cfm gasket. Also, I considered a 1" phenolic spacer, however using a stock air cleaner on a 57 car it's very doubtfull it will clear the hood.  Unfortunately, O'Reillys doesn't operate in western  Canada & Speedway is a U.S.A. order.  I'll have to check elsewhere.  
[/quote]Clears fine on my 57, stock air cleaner.[quote]

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Take a look here, https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-base-plate-gaskets/gasket-opening-style/4-hole/carburetor-flange/square-bore?N=4294943592%2B4294943587%2B4294921888&PageSize=100&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=carb%20mounting%20gasket  Pictures for several, including the #55 look correct.  The Fel-pro 1909 specifies 1 31/64" diameter.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter