Carb to intake gasket?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic135411.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
I'm installing a Ford Autolite 4100 on a ECZ-B intake which for those not familiar with that manifold, has raised flanges, not a completely flat surface. Bought a Mr Gasket (?) #55 gasket. Fitting it, found the venturie holes are too big & it's very likely going to leak vacuum & or fuel. Anybody know of a gasket make with a bit smaller holes? I found someone with a 60s Mustang on the internet that had the same issue, but no positive solution was offered..   Thanks 
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
As long as the gasket seals the outer perimeter of the flange, it will be fine.  I never had any trouble with the common gaskets, which are 1 3/4" bore with the B intake.  I think the Mr Gasket #55 is one of the closest matches to the stock flange.

I ran out and checked a 1 3/4" gasket on a modified B intake and the holes look like they will just barely seal.  I don't have a #55 gasket but I do have a Holley 390 carb spacer and the holes in that are 1 15/32" which should match about perfectly with the B intake.  I can check that on an unmodified intake tomorrow to see how the inner diameter matches up but this should give you an idea.  They are all square bore so the hole centers should be the same.

By 57RancheroJim - 6 Years Ago
When I went to the Holley 390 I found the correct size gaskets at my local O'Reileys auto parts store sorry don't recall the part number.  I couldn't find a correct size 1" phenolic spacer so I had to sandwich two 1/2" together.
Speedway Motors sell 1" 390 carb spacers.  They're the only place I've found them.
Thanks Charlie & Jim. The #55 gasket does have 1-3/4" holes & they barely cover, maybe by 1/16th" Not going with that..  I'll check into getting a Holley 390 cfm gasket. Also, I considered a 1" phenolic spacer, however using a stock air cleaner on a 57 car it's very doubtfull it will clear the hood.  Unfortunately, O'Reillys doesn't operate in western  Canada & Speedway is a U.S.A. order.  I'll have to check elsewhere.  
By Joe-JDC - 6 Years Ago
Why not make your own gasket from gasket stock?  Most parts stores sell gasket material in sheets.  Whenever I need something that is odd size or shape, I use that, and trim with a small scissor, or knife.  Make a simple imprint of base by rubbing over the sheet material with hand or ball peen hammer, and cut out following the lines.  Joe-JDC
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
GOOGLE C2AZ 9447-E. They are still available.
You shouldn't need much over a 1/4" phenolic spacer (IMO).
charliemccraney (2/22/2018)
Speedway Motors sell 1" 390 carb spacers.  They're the only place I've found them.
[/quote]
At the time I tried to order one they were out  of stock and I was told the supplier had machine problems and they didn't know when they would get them again, they may have them now [quote]

PF Arcand (2/22/2018)
Thanks Charlie & Jim. The #55 gasket does have 1-3/4" holes & they barely cover, maybe by 1/16th" Not going with that..  I'll check into getting a Holley 390 cfm gasket. Also, I considered a 1" phenolic spacer, however using a stock air cleaner on a 57 car it's very doubtfull it will clear the hood.  Unfortunately, O'Reillys doesn't operate in western  Canada & Speedway is a U.S.A. order.  I'll have to check elsewhere.  
[/quote]Clears fine on my 57, stock air cleaner.[quote]

Take a look here, https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-base-plate-gaskets/gasket-opening-style/4-hole/carburetor-flange/square-bore?N=4294943592%2B4294943587%2B4294921888&PageSize=100&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=carb%20mounting%20gasket  Pictures for several, including the #55 look correct.  The Fel-pro 1909 specifies 1 31/64" diameter.
By 2721955meteor - 6 Years Ago
go to lordco, or any parts store in surrey or lancelet,buy a sheet of thicker gasket material.lik pre. post lay it on manifold and tap the big holes to cut them then, a common hole puncher for the stud holes.. i found with a newer holley no gaskets that come with overhaul kit are correct. you want NO
VACUME LEAKS. so i have no issues with the home made gasket.
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
KULTULZ (2/22/2018)

GOOGLE C2AZ 9447-E. They are still available.
You shouldn't need much over a 1/4" phenolic spacer (IMO).

C2AZ 9447-E is the correct FORD PN for your application-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c2az-9447-e

By Ted - 6 Years Ago
Paul.  If you’ll email me a snail mail mailing address, I’ll send you some of the smaller bore 1957 4V intake carburetor flange gaskets.  My email address is located under contact info on my website.
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/
Thanks Ted.. sent my address etc.. Include a note for the cost of envelope & mailing & I'll refund it..   I wonder how many people have installed a gasket & carb on a "B" intake, which didn't seal properly & then blamed the problems on the carb?