Profile Picture

Air cleaner hold down stud

Posted By PF Arcand 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Have an Ford Autolite 4100 carb here, in good condition except the air cleaner hold down stud is missing. Looking into the recess, it appears the threads are stripped out? The recess hole appears to be about 3/8" in diameter, although the upper hold down needs to be about 1/4" dia. Was it threaded originally? Can anybody shed light on this? .  Thanks.

Paul
stuey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
mine is 3/8 unc at the carb end and 1/4 unc at the top end.

I needed a much longer one to accommodate a taller filter so I drilled the top of a 3/8 unc bolt then cut the head off a long 1/4 unc bolt pushed the two together and brazed them. I am useless at starting a die square hence the long bolt instead of a piece of 1/4 rod.
stuey 
jecklhyde
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Carburetor or top off....don't ant anything going down into engine.  If there is room you could double nut a piece of "all thread".....one nut under and one nut on top....red lock tite.  You can spent $20 and buy a 1/4" HeliCoil  kit.  No need to drill...just run the tap in the stripped thread hole and run in the new SS thread......break off the tang and you're good to go.  Still probably need a length of "all-thead."....and, I'd still Locktite it.  That is assuming that the original threaded hole was 1/4".
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

As Stuey points out, the original stud was likely stepped from 3/8"N.C down to 1/4"N.C.  I could make one like he did, although the base will need to be Heli coiled or epoxied in, due to stripped threads. Quite some time back, I enquired about a Helicoil kit & I think it was $36+ then, likely at least $40.00 now.. Thanks anyway for the information.  

Paul
jecklhyde
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)Turbocharged (53 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Okay, I'll go with another cheap fix, maybe.  eBay for a 3/8" HeliCoil, fix the carb top.  Drill out the hole in the filter lid to 3/8"....nut, acorn or wing-nut..  Again with the "all-thread."   I sort of like all-thread for easy fixes........local 'nut and bolt' store stocks most sizes, course and fine, even in 4140 grade.
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

There are no threads in the carb top, it's a through hole, the threads are in the body. The original stud had a nut that helps clamp the top to the body.. If the threads are bad in the body the top will have to be removed to make any repair.
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

O.K. Jim, I'll take the top off & check it out..Thanks

Paul
blockhead2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Paul,

The main reason that the bowl threads get stripped out is that people think its a 1/4-28 thread.  ITS NOT!  Its a 1/4-24.  The  bowl is made of weak metal which I call pot metal that strips easily.  Doubt if there is enough meat there to allow a helicoil but good luck.  Chances are you will have to replace the bowl.  If you do, make sure you use a 1/4-24 stud.

Bill A
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

O.K. as 57 R Jim advised, the threads start in the lower body, not in the top casting hole. The threads are apparently 5/16" N.C. As far as I know this Autolite carb is off a 1965 Mustang. If I bottom the stud's thread in the hole the stud will need to be approx 4-3/4" long to reach the top of my air cleaner, (which I believe is an original 1957 unit) & include thread for the wing nut, which is also 5/16" thread.  So, at least I now know what I'm dealing with.. Thanks 

Paul
scicala
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
blockhead2 (1/27/2018)
Paul,

The main reason that the bowl threads get stripped out is that people think its a 1/4-28 thread.  ITS NOT!  Its a 1/4-24.  The  bowl is made of weak metal which I call pot metal that strips easily.  Doubt if there is enough meat there to allow a helicoil but good luck.  Chances are you will have to replace the bowl.  If you do, make sure you use a 1/4-24 stud.

Bill A

Reading This Topic

Site Meter