Profile Picture

2 barrel to 4 barrel on stock 272 do it or not

Posted By Melly 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I just saw in a Summit catalog that they have a "Max Performance" carburetor now, which is a more conventional Holley styled carb.  The price for those seems real good for the features included.

Lawrenceville, GA
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Charley: Is that high performance carb based on the previous Holley 4010 carbs from some years back, that apparently never really caught on, for whatever reasons?.  If I have it right, that's a ??, the 4010 carb had the "annular" fuel discharge into the booster venturies that was similar to the Ford Autolite carbs that came out in 1957 & into the 60's & were used in early Mustangs etc.. 

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The Max Performance looks to be a 4150 / 4160 style of carb.  The original Summit carb is basically the Holley 4010/4011 and these are similar in appearance to the Autolite / Motorcraft carbs,.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here’s a picture of the Summit Max Performance carb.  It would appear that they are available only as double pumpers (mechanical secondaries) and currently only available in two sizes; 650 and 750 cfm.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/13ac5410-5d0f-4210-bd0b-5aac.jpg  

And here’s a picture of the Summit 4010 carburetor made by Holley with Summit badging.  These are available in 500, 600, & 750 cfm models with vacuum secondaries and a 750 cfm model with mechanical secondaries.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/073503eb-798b-4f0b-bc26-3540.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
It's been reported in the past, by the company "Pony Carburetors," now unfortunately out of business due to the passing of the owner /manager & by former contributor to Y-Block magazine, Jerry Christenson, that testing of the Ford Autolite, 4 Bbl 1.08 & 1.12 carbs found them to be in many cases substantially more economical on fuel than other after market carbs such as Holleys.  Of course those carbs are no longer available new. although there are a couple of outfits that rebuild them, some are on the internet.  I have a 1.08 on my 57 car & while I haven't really had an oportunity to check  mileage accurately, it's a nice running carb. Better than the  2 Bbl Holley that was on the car when I bought it.  Even easy starting after sitting for long periods in cool weather. The one thing to keep in mind with those carbs is that due to their "annular" fuel discharge setup, a clean fuel filter is manditory to avoid problems..         

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Everyone realizes the SUMMIT 4010 is CHI-COM?

I would imagine the new model is also.

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
KULTULZ (2/21/2021)

Not sure where you get the China connection as an older Summit carb box I have here says “Made in Mexico”.  I just looked at a new box and it simply says “ASSEMBLED IN U.S.”.  But come tomorrow morning, I'll just give the techies a call and see what they say.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
What has been said in other posts, and needs to be repeated is that when changing from a 2V carb to a 4V carb, almost to a carb, the primaries of a 4V are smaller than the 2V butterflies, and will be more economical if driven with care.  I have never had a vehicle where I changed the intake manifolds from 2V to 4V, and got less mileage on the road.  I usually do some other modifications at the same time, like recurve the distributor, aluminum intake, headers, dual exhausts, good low restriction mufflers, and many times changed camshafts, rocker arms, etc.  The gas mileage always improved with those modifications, even in my trucks before EFI, if driven sensibly.  Joe-JDC

JDC
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

The trouble with going 4V and after getting it dialed in is keeping your foot out of it.

KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (2/21/2021)

KULTULZ (2/21/2021)

Not sure where you get the China connection as an older Summit carb box I have here says “Made in Mexico”.  I just looked at a new box and it simply says “ASSEMBLED IN U.S.”.  But come tomorrow morning, I'll just give the techies a call and see what they say.

When the SUMMIT was released, there was much scuttlebutt over its same appearance as the HOLLEY 4010.

When HOLLEY ended production of the 4010/4011, all tooling was destroyed. Someone then purchased the design rights and with a former HOLLEY TECH went about redesigning the carb to rid it of the problem(s) that HOLLEY had with theirs. I believe the casting(s) were done in CHINA (not sure of machining) and then assembled here (ASSEMBLED IN USA).
If current production reads MADE IN MEXICO, it may be possible the castings and assembly are now being done there.

According to the Summit rep I spoke to, Holley destroyed the original molds for the old 4010 carburetor. The “guy” who designed the 4010 also helped design the Summit version… making improvements on the shortcomings of the 4010, and Holley supposedly makes these carbs for Summit. The box says “Assembled in USA but I still can’t get a straight answer on how (or if) China is involved.

SOURCE - https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/summit-carb-review-and-road-test.482814/

Why would HOLLEY sell the rights and then allow someone else to produce basically the same product? Maybe HOLLEY is getting royalties? HOLLEY moved most of their production to MEXICO years ago. There may be a tie-in, I don't know.

All I know is I am a little particular and want nothing boasting MADE IN CHINA on either my car (there are some things you have to eat now) or in my tool box.

It's a shame as the 4010 would have one great street carb (IMO) had HOLLEY sorted out the problem(s).

Reading This Topic

Site Meter