2 barrel to 4 barrel on stock 272 do it or not

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic134541.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Melly - 6 Years Ago
Would like opinions to or not. Rember doing back in high school days is it worth it?
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
What is your goal?  Which 272 are you starting with?  Which 4 barrel intake do you plan to use?
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
Back in the day I did it to get more power. with this one just plan on drive to enjoy.This is a 55 272 with stock 2 barrel. But a little more zip is good.  I do not have a intake, carb, or dist.  So what i am wondering is  what this would be get for my upgrade? Maybe just suffering from going from A990 Ply to a fantastic cruising machine.
By 1960fordf350 - 6 Years Ago
Like Charlie says,   what's the goal.  Do you want a basic upgrade?  Or are you gonna throw a shit-ton of money at it?   I'm hoping to rebuild my 292 for my F350 this year.   The stock 2 barrel intake is staying.   Through research I've found the Holley on my truck right now was used on engines all the way up to 390.  So the carb has plenty of flow.   Your goal, your happiness.   Change in exhaust is a great increase without opening up the engine.
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
What would the be the 2 barrel carb you would suggest I find that would be better then stock?
By Florida_Phil - 6 Years Ago
If you want more zip, swapping on a 4 barrel will give you more of it.  Back in the day this was one of the cheapest most effective swaps you could make to a Y Block.  Back then four barrel Y Block manifolds and carbs were everywhere on the cheap. Not so today. 

I paid $200 for a 57 iron 4 barrel intake and was happy to get it.  If you keep your '55 heads you will have a port mismatch, but it will work fine.  I would change the manifold instead of going with an adapter.  My experience with carb adapters has not been good.  If you go the 4 barrel route, don't over carb the engine. I bought a new Holley 465 for my TBird.  I wasn't cheap, but it works perfectly without hesitation. You will also want to upgrade your distributor.  You can buy a rebuilt '57 dizzy for around $70 mail order.  Helps a  bunch.
By Ted - 6 Years Ago
Welcome to the site.

If wanting to stay with a two barrel carb, then upgrade to a 1957 and newer two barrel cast iron intake.  Then use a four bolt two barrel carb with at least 350 cfm being desirable.  With the intake manifold and carb change, also upgrade the distributor to the 1957 and newer style that incorporates both a centrifugal and vacuum advance.

If wanting to go the four barrel route, then the larger flanged four barrel intake (oem iron ECZ-B, aluminum Blue Thunder, or aluminum Mummert) with a modern carb would be the way to go.  With any modern carb ('57 and up) upgrade, go with the later model distributor.  The Summit 500 cfm carb would be a good choice for the stock cammed 272.  Any kind of camshaft upgrade could have you taking advantage of a larger carb without sacrificing lowend power.
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
The response has been great!!!  I am leaning toward what i did back in day.  57 intake holley carb and the newer dist. Also do some work on exhaust. 
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
Yes, upgrading the exhaust system, away from that power robbing crossover setup, would be a fairly strait forward idea..
By Florida_Phil - 6 Years Ago
When we were kids in the early sixties I used to think 272s ran better.  We were buying used engines for $50 bucks back then. We would hose them off, paint them with a spray can and throw them in.   The 272s we were buying ran better because they weren't all beat up, they mostly came out of little old lady cars.  I believe all '57 Y Blocks came with the good heads, even 272s.   A good running 272 with a '57 carb, manifold and distributor will make you smile.  Thinking back, I can't believe how we abused those cars.  Yikes...  (Sorry for the flashback).
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
my goal is to have a fun car to enjoy around at shows and cruises.  
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
I have what I believe to be stock 272 , with 2 barrel carb, dual exhaust, three on tree with OD
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
have 272 stock with dual exhaust, three spd with OD.  want to use to enjoy  shows and roll in and just good driving 
By Melly - 6 Years Ago
flash backs are Great to hear that's what we all do 
By skyhunter - 3 Years Ago
I want to go the other way.

I had a 2 hole Holley and bought a 4 hole intake for my 292 and put on an Edelbrock.

Now I wish I still had a 2 hole.  There is no real "performance" increase but a marked decrease in MPG.  Not like my 292 was a racer to begin with.

I do like the look of the aluminum intake I have but since this car is just a long low custom I'd rather have the gas mileage back.

Anyone have success using an adapter to go the other way???

By 55blacktie - 3 Years Ago
What size 4-barrel carburetor did you use to replace your 2-barrel? A small 4-barrel would have smaller primaries than an equivalent cfm 2-barrel? Were your 4-barrel carburetor and distributor compatible?
By PF Arcand - 3 Years Ago
Skyhunter: 1st of all we need to know what year your car or engine is ? '55-56 engines came with vacuum advance Distributors (no centrifcal advance) & carbs that were designed to work with them.. If you installed a 57 or later model carb on one of those engines with the original Distributor, that is why it's not working properly.. This is a  long standing problem going years back!  Unfortunately, Ford was out of step by 1956 with this setup.. Another unintended performance set back.. You need a 57-62  distributor to get started on the right foot..

N.B.- just noticed that the original starting posting here is 3 yrs old... 
By Florida_Phil - 3 Years Ago
PF Arcand (2/8/2021)
If you installed a 57 or later model carb on one of those engines with the original Distributor, that is why it's not working properly.. This is a  long standing problem going years back!

If you installed a modern carburetor with your original 1955 distributor, you went backwards not forwards.  Upgrade the distributor and you will see a noticeable difference.

By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Ditto on the distributor comment.

The factory four barrel set ups are engineered combinations.  When arbitrarily just converting a 2V engine to a 4V set up using a universal carb, then some extra calibration will be required to make that compatible with the current engine combination.  I have experimented with a variety of 4V carbs on my 272 and after some tuning, most of them get a reliable 19+ mpg on the highway.  I have seen as high as 21 mpg.

The current carb is the Summit 500 cfm unit while the previous carb was the 525 cfm Road Demon Jr.  After eight plus years with the Demon carb, it needed a kit and rather than rebuild it, this was a good time to try the new Summit 500 carb.  The Summit carb has been on the car now for four years and runs good although it's just a bit on the small side when pushing the speed up there.  This car has been used in the Big Bend Open Road Race so it's not just a Sunday cruiser.  Before that Demon carb was a number of Holley and Carter carbs.  I was always at a loss with the Carter carbs in getting the fuel mileage I get with other carbs so I’m simply not a Carter/Edelbrock carb fan. Keep in mind that all this is with an engine that now has almost 200K miles on it since that last time it was opened up.  The car now has over 300K miles on it.
By DryLakesRacer - 3 Years Ago
As a note... the Summit 500 cfm are currently back ordered stating end of February for shipping. Seems like the HAMB and mentioning here might be increasing sales.
By charliemccraney - 3 Years Ago
I just saw in a Summit catalog that they have a "Max Performance" carburetor now, which is a more conventional Holley styled carb.  The price for those seems real good for the features included.
Charley: Is that high performance carb based on the previous Holley 4010 carbs from some years back, that apparently never really caught on, for whatever reasons?.  If I have it right, that's a ??, the 4010 carb had the "annular" fuel discharge into the booster venturies that was similar to the Ford Autolite carbs that came out in 1957 & into the 60's & were used in early Mustangs etc.. 
By charliemccraney - 3 Years Ago
The Max Performance looks to be a 4150 / 4160 style of carb.  The original Summit carb is basically the Holley 4010/4011 and these are similar in appearance to the Autolite / Motorcraft carbs,.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Here’s a picture of the Summit Max Performance carb.  It would appear that they are available only as double pumpers (mechanical secondaries) and currently only available in two sizes; 650 and 750 cfm.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/13ac5410-5d0f-4210-bd0b-5aac.jpg  

And here’s a picture of the Summit 4010 carburetor made by Holley with Summit badging.  These are available in 500, 600, & 750 cfm models with vacuum secondaries and a 750 cfm model with mechanical secondaries.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/073503eb-798b-4f0b-bc26-3540.jpg 
It's been reported in the past, by the company "Pony Carburetors," now unfortunately out of business due to the passing of the owner /manager & by former contributor to Y-Block magazine, Jerry Christenson, that testing of the Ford Autolite, 4 Bbl 1.08 & 1.12 carbs found them to be in many cases substantially more economical on fuel than other after market carbs such as Holleys.  Of course those carbs are no longer available new. although there are a couple of outfits that rebuild them, some are on the internet.  I have a 1.08 on my 57 car & while I haven't really had an oportunity to check  mileage accurately, it's a nice running carb. Better than the  2 Bbl Holley that was on the car when I bought it.  Even easy starting after sitting for long periods in cool weather. The one thing to keep in mind with those carbs is that due to their "annular" fuel discharge setup, a clean fuel filter is manditory to avoid problems..         
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
Everyone realizes the SUMMIT 4010 is CHI-COM?

I would imagine the new model is also.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
KULTULZ (2/21/2021)

Not sure where you get the China connection as an older Summit carb box I have here says “Made in Mexico”.  I just looked at a new box and it simply says “ASSEMBLED IN U.S.”.  But come tomorrow morning, I'll just give the techies a call and see what they say.
By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
What has been said in other posts, and needs to be repeated is that when changing from a 2V carb to a 4V carb, almost to a carb, the primaries of a 4V are smaller than the 2V butterflies, and will be more economical if driven with care.  I have never had a vehicle where I changed the intake manifolds from 2V to 4V, and got less mileage on the road.  I usually do some other modifications at the same time, like recurve the distributor, aluminum intake, headers, dual exhausts, good low restriction mufflers, and many times changed camshafts, rocker arms, etc.  The gas mileage always improved with those modifications, even in my trucks before EFI, if driven sensibly.  Joe-JDC
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
The trouble with going 4V and after getting it dialed in is keeping your foot out of it.
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
Ted (2/21/2021)

KULTULZ (2/21/2021)

Not sure where you get the China connection as an older Summit carb box I have here says “Made in Mexico”.  I just looked at a new box and it simply says “ASSEMBLED IN U.S.”.  But come tomorrow morning, I'll just give the techies a call and see what they say.

When the SUMMIT was released, there was much scuttlebutt over its same appearance as the HOLLEY 4010.

When HOLLEY ended production of the 4010/4011, all tooling was destroyed. Someone then purchased the design rights and with a former HOLLEY TECH went about redesigning the carb to rid it of the problem(s) that HOLLEY had with theirs. I believe the casting(s) were done in CHINA (not sure of machining) and then assembled here (ASSEMBLED IN USA).
If current production reads MADE IN MEXICO, it may be possible the castings and assembly are now being done there.

According to the Summit rep I spoke to, Holley destroyed the original molds for the old 4010 carburetor. The “guy” who designed the 4010 also helped design the Summit version… making improvements on the shortcomings of the 4010, and Holley supposedly makes these carbs for Summit. The box says “Assembled in USA but I still can’t get a straight answer on how (or if) China is involved.

SOURCE - https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/summit-carb-review-and-road-test.482814/

Why would HOLLEY sell the rights and then allow someone else to produce basically the same product? Maybe HOLLEY is getting royalties? HOLLEY moved most of their production to MEXICO years ago. There may be a tie-in, I don't know.

All I know is I am a little particular and want nothing boasting MADE IN CHINA on either my car (there are some things you have to eat now) or in my tool box.

It's a shame as the 4010 would have one great street carb (IMO) had HOLLEY sorted out the problem(s).

By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
My Summit 750VS carb box has assembled in USA on the label.  Nothing in or on the box or on the carburetor body states made in China.  Same for my 500VS.  I checked my Quick Fuel Carb boxes, and they have printed on them, Assembled and tested in USA.  My Edelbrock boxes have Made in USA on them.  Joe-JDC
By 55blacktie - 3 Years Ago
Surfing the net, it confirmed what I already knew; at least some of Holley's carburetors are MADE in CHINA. That surely must include Holley carburetors that do not bare the Holley name. 

At least 10 years ago, I ordered a pair of Red Wing hiking boots. I wanted a quality pair of American-made boots, and they seemingly fit the bill. When they arrived, the box said, "Made in America with Imported Materials." I was perplexed because we have lots of cows in America; we don't need to import them. 

Anytime you read, "Assembled in America," it's a pretty clear indication that the components were not made in America and likely made in China. 

There are manufacturing plants in other countries, including China, that are equal/superior to what we have here at home. Some of those manufacturers have American investors. In some cases, the quality is equal to/greater than what is made here, and it's cheaper. We can argue that if American consumers were willing to pay more, more products would be manufactured here. However, paying more will not necessarily assure you're getting a better product or that the workers who made it are being paid a living wage. Instead, the profits are just/more likely to line the pockets of corporate executives and investors. Isn't that the American way and has been since the industrial revolution of the 19th century?
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
My Summit 750VS carb box has assembled in USA on the label.

ASSEMBLED is the key word. Nothing states where cast and/or machined.

Same on RED WINGS here. Had a pair for years that felt like moccasins. Finally blew out. Go to official RED WING OUTLET STORE and pick up a pair - MADE IN CHINA.

Ask the guy (store owner) and he says they are cut out up north then shipped to CHINA for assembly. Says no one up there wants to work sewing boots together. Maybe pay a decent wage and you will find help. So what do I do? Buy the things and they killed my feet. Bought next pair from WALLY-WORLD. If I have to wear CHI-COM JUMP BOOTS made from yak skin, no reason to pay the big bucks for a name.

Anyone remember some years back when EDEL was casting intakes in CHINA? That caused an uproar.

By Ted - 3 Years Ago
I talked with the Techie (actual name with held) at Summit and with a little bit of tracking on his end, the Summit 4010 line of carbs are not only assembled in the U.S.A., they are now cast in the U.S.A..  That’s probably the reason I no longer see made in Mexico on the newer boxes.  He did mention that Holley is not associated with producing this particular carburetor that has the Summit badging.  If that’s the case, Holley is either leasing the rights to produce this carb to someone else or has sold off the rights to it.  It would take some additional sleuthing to root this out.

I suggested to the Summit techie that the labeling should be changed to say Made in U.S.A. but that can only take place if 100% of the parts within the carb are made in the U.S.A.  If there is something as simple as a cover screw that’s imported, then a MADE IN U.S.A. claim is not allowed.  That’s where the ‘Assembled in U.S.A.’ comes into play.
By DryLakesRacer - 3 Years Ago
The Summit 500 I ordered at the beginning of February is ready to ship from Georgia. Arrival is stated for Monday March 1st. I looked on line and there was 1 left. None when I ordered. Sounds like they are finishing them as needed. I’ll at least take the top off from what I’ve read here.
Not sure when I’ll put it on, the dual quads are fine right now but since the PCV system I’ve had to tinker more in the last month than I did in 5 years with them. It will go on the Blue Thunder I have and I’ll try to use it with an original 56 air cleaner I’ve gutted. I’ll want it low to hide most of the new carb.
By yblock57 - 3 Years Ago
Ted (2/22/2021)
I talked with the Techie (actual name with held) at Summit and with a little bit of tracking on his end, the Summit 4010 line of carbs are not only assembled in the U.S.A., they are now cast in the U.S.A..  That’s probably the reason I no longer see made in Mexico on the newer boxes.  He did mention that Holley is not associated with producing this particular carburetor that has the Summit badging.  If that’s the case, Holley is either leasing the rights to produce this carb to someone else or has sold off the rights to it.  It would take some additional sleuthing to root this out.

I suggested to the Summit techie that the labeling should be changed to say Made in U.S.A. but that can only take place if 100% of the parts within the carb are made in the U.S.A.  If there is something as simple as a cover screw that’s imported, then a MADE IN U.S.A. claim is not allowed.  That’s where the ‘Assembled in U.S.A.’ comes into play.

Very encouraging to hear. Glad some things are coming back to the USA. Thanks for getting this info!