Profile Picture

2 barrel to 4 barrel on stock 272 do it or not

Posted By Melly 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 days ago
my goal is to have a fun car to enjoy around at shows and cruises.  
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

I have what I believe to be stock 272 , with 2 barrel carb, dual exhaust, three on tree with OD
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

have 272 stock with dual exhaust, three spd with OD.  want to use to enjoy  shows and roll in and just good driving 
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

flash backs are Great to hear that's what we all do 
skyhunter
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I want to go the other way.

I had a 2 hole Holley and bought a 4 hole intake for my 292 and put on an Edelbrock.

Now I wish I still had a 2 hole.  There is no real "performance" increase but a marked decrease in MPG.  Not like my 292 was a racer to begin with.

I do like the look of the aluminum intake I have but since this car is just a long low custom I'd rather have the gas mileage back.

Anyone have success using an adapter to go the other way???

1959 Edsel Ranger, 1916 Ford "speedster"
"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
What size 4-barrel carburetor did you use to replace your 2-barrel? A small 4-barrel would have smaller primaries than an equivalent cfm 2-barrel? Were your 4-barrel carburetor and distributor compatible?
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Skyhunter: 1st of all we need to know what year your car or engine is ? '55-56 engines came with vacuum advance Distributors (no centrifcal advance) & carbs that were designed to work with them.. If you installed a 57 or later model carb on one of those engines with the original Distributor, that is why it's not working properly.. This is a  long standing problem going years back!  Unfortunately, Ford was out of step by 1956 with this setup.. Another unintended performance set back.. You need a 57-62  distributor to get started on the right foot..

N.B.- just noticed that the original starting posting here is 3 yrs old... 

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

PF Arcand (2/8/2021)
If you installed a 57 or later model carb on one of those engines with the original Distributor, that is why it's not working properly.. This is a  long standing problem going years back!

If you installed a modern carburetor with your original 1955 distributor, you went backwards not forwards.  Upgrade the distributor and you will see a noticeable difference.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Ditto on the distributor comment.

The factory four barrel set ups are engineered combinations.  When arbitrarily just converting a 2V engine to a 4V set up using a universal carb, then some extra calibration will be required to make that compatible with the current engine combination.  I have experimented with a variety of 4V carbs on my 272 and after some tuning, most of them get a reliable 19+ mpg on the highway.  I have seen as high as 21 mpg.

The current carb is the Summit 500 cfm unit while the previous carb was the 525 cfm Road Demon Jr.  After eight plus years with the Demon carb, it needed a kit and rather than rebuild it, this was a good time to try the new Summit 500 carb.  The Summit carb has been on the car now for four years and runs good although it's just a bit on the small side when pushing the speed up there.  This car has been used in the Big Bend Open Road Race so it's not just a Sunday cruiser.  Before that Demon carb was a number of Holley and Carter carbs.  I was always at a loss with the Carter carbs in getting the fuel mileage I get with other carbs so I’m simply not a Carter/Edelbrock carb fan. Keep in mind that all this is with an engine that now has almost 200K miles on it since that last time it was opened up.  The car now has over 300K miles on it.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

As a note... the Summit 500 cfm are currently back ordered stating end of February for shipping. Seems like the HAMB and mentioning here might be increasing sales.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter