Profile Picture

2 barrel to 4 barrel on stock 272 do it or not

Posted By Melly 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Would like opinions to or not. Rember doing back in high school days is it worth it?
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
What is your goal?  Which 272 are you starting with?  Which 4 barrel intake do you plan to use?

Lawrenceville, GA
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Back in the day I did it to get more power. with this one just plan on drive to enjoy.This is a 55 272 with stock 2 barrel. But a little more zip is good.  I do not have a intake, carb, or dist.  So what i am wondering is  what this would be get for my upgrade? Maybe just suffering from going from A990 Ply to a fantastic cruising machine.
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Like Charlie says,   what's the goal.  Do you want a basic upgrade?  Or are you gonna throw a shit-ton of money at it?   I'm hoping to rebuild my 292 for my F350 this year.   The stock 2 barrel intake is staying.   Through research I've found the Holley on my truck right now was used on engines all the way up to 390.  So the carb has plenty of flow.   Your goal, your happiness.   Change in exhaust is a great increase without opening up the engine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What would the be the 2 barrel carb you would suggest I find that would be better then stock?
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you want more zip, swapping on a 4 barrel will give you more of it.  Back in the day this was one of the cheapest most effective swaps you could make to a Y Block.  Back then four barrel Y Block manifolds and carbs were everywhere on the cheap. Not so today. 

I paid $200 for a 57 iron 4 barrel intake and was happy to get it.  If you keep your '55 heads you will have a port mismatch, but it will work fine.  I would change the manifold instead of going with an adapter.  My experience with carb adapters has not been good.  If you go the 4 barrel route, don't over carb the engine. I bought a new Holley 465 for my TBird.  I wasn't cheap, but it works perfectly without hesitation. You will also want to upgrade your distributor.  You can buy a rebuilt '57 dizzy for around $70 mail order.  Helps a  bunch.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Welcome to the site.

If wanting to stay with a two barrel carb, then upgrade to a 1957 and newer two barrel cast iron intake.  Then use a four bolt two barrel carb with at least 350 cfm being desirable.  With the intake manifold and carb change, also upgrade the distributor to the 1957 and newer style that incorporates both a centrifugal and vacuum advance.

If wanting to go the four barrel route, then the larger flanged four barrel intake (oem iron ECZ-B, aluminum Blue Thunder, or aluminum Mummert) with a modern carb would be the way to go.  With any modern carb ('57 and up) upgrade, go with the later model distributor.  The Summit 500 cfm carb would be a good choice for the stock cammed 272.  Any kind of camshaft upgrade could have you taking advantage of a larger carb without sacrificing lowend power.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The response has been great!!!  I am leaning toward what i did back in day.  57 intake holley carb and the newer dist. Also do some work on exhaust. 
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Yes, upgrading the exhaust system, away from that power robbing crossover setup, would be a fairly strait forward idea..

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
When we were kids in the early sixties I used to think 272s ran better.  We were buying used engines for $50 bucks back then. We would hose them off, paint them with a spray can and throw them in.   The 272s we were buying ran better because they weren't all beat up, they mostly came out of little old lady cars.  I believe all '57 Y Blocks came with the good heads, even 272s.   A good running 272 with a '57 carb, manifold and distributor will make you smile.  Thinking back, I can't believe how we abused those cars.  Yikes...  (Sorry for the flashback).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter