Profile Picture

Extra coolant holes

Posted By paul2748 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
What is the current thinking on the two coolant holes located between the center cylinders?  I'm having a new engine built.  The block does not have the holes but the heads do.  Thunderbird, street engine, 312 with a mild cam, C heads, .A manifold with a teapot, automatic

Thanks

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Paul.  I tried to locate the answer to your question in the Archive to permit linking it for you, but was not successful.  I asked Ted this question some time ago.  The short of what I recall Ted saying was don't drill them if your y-block does not already have them.  He went on to indicate that for performance builds, he taps the holes if they are already there and inserts a threaded 'stud'.

You indicated that your cylinder heads do have the additional holes already drilled.  I'd use BEST brand cylinder head gaskets and proceed with assembly without concern.

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Apparently someone at Ford thought the cooling holes were a good idea at some point. Our moderator, Ted, refers to them as "steam holes" & has indicated that he doesn't think they are really a good idea. I can't recall exactly the details, but I believe he said that the height position of the radiator in some cars may also be a factor in the cooling effectiveness of the holes.  Others such as Jerry Christenson, a contributor to Y-block magazine, thinks that any additional cooling in the area of the center two exhaust valves, where cracks are most likely to occur in some Y-Block heads, is a good idea.. Others with extensive experience with the engines may want  to contribute further on this subject...  

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter