Extra coolant holes

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic133214.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By paul2748 - 7 Years Ago
What is the current thinking on the two coolant holes located between the center cylinders?  I'm having a new engine built.  The block does not have the holes but the heads do.  Thunderbird, street engine, 312 with a mild cam, C heads, .A manifold with a teapot, automatic

Thanks
By NoShortcuts - 7 Years Ago
Paul.  I tried to locate the answer to your question in the Archive to permit linking it for you, but was not successful.  I asked Ted this question some time ago.  The short of what I recall Ted saying was don't drill them if your y-block does not already have them.  He went on to indicate that for performance builds, he taps the holes if they are already there and inserts a threaded 'stud'.

You indicated that your cylinder heads do have the additional holes already drilled.  I'd use BEST brand cylinder head gaskets and proceed with assembly without concern.

Hope this helps.   Smile
By PF Arcand - 7 Years Ago
Apparently someone at Ford thought the cooling holes were a good idea at some point. Our moderator, Ted, refers to them as "steam holes" & has indicated that he doesn't think they are really a good idea. I can't recall exactly the details, but I believe he said that the height position of the radiator in some cars may also be a factor in the cooling effectiveness of the holes.  Others such as Jerry Christenson, a contributor to Y-block magazine, thinks that any additional cooling in the area of the center two exhaust valves, where cracks are most likely to occur in some Y-Block heads, is a good idea.. Others with extensive experience with the engines may want  to contribute further on this subject...