Profile Picture

Cruise-O-Matic

Posted By DryLakesRacer 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
A very reputable transmission shop here in So Cal that I went too because my stock 56 air cooled Ford-O has been leaking and has gotten much worse. I brought along all of the adapter companies information and discussed with the owner on what his suggestions would be.

He mostly wanted to know what I used my car for, which is local cruising and some but very little highway, and since he had built racing transmissions and torque converters starting in the late 50's he suggested the easiest thing was an early 60's CruseO. He actually did much of the Ford automatic trans drag racing development.

It would give me a 1st gear start and if I wanted to replace the rear with something higher than 3.21's to help with highways I would be fine. I have considered an 8" Mustang style and using 3.0 in the past.

He also said the installation is easy, almost bolt in, and the later trans used a vacuum modulator only needing a vacuum port which would be easy on my rear carb. I already have the cooler in the radiator for the cooling lines. He said the kick/passing gear will work with the stock linkage with a little work.

He actually has one ready to go that was done for a friend of mine for a later T-Bird restoration. The gentleman has pasted on and it was never picked up. He stated that he would do anything I wanted and was making the suggestion because it was easy, I would get something strong, not leaking, water cooled, etc...

Any thoughts out here other it won't have an overdrive and is heavier than newer non OD trans like a C-4.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Seem’s to meet your needs, and who knows how many million miles they went behind big FE’s. If it’s built right it’ll be fine, and it’s probably still lighter than the fordo. Probably doesn’t use any more hp. Sounds like the price is right and the guy knows what he’s doing. Every time I mention my favorite modern o/d they shoot at me here.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lou
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Go for it ! A friend of of mine put a cruse-0 in his 55 convert about 20 years ago, he still has the car and it still runs fine 40,000 miles later
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Thanks guys, I was afraid I wouldn't get any positives as everyone today seems to lean towards modernization on everything.
Eventho the owner doesn't do much of the physical work himself because he's getting up in age I did go back in the shop where they were servicing a 67 Mustang and another 70's station wagon and met the 2 mechanics. This won't be a freebie by any means but it is a very trusted shop and he's well known in the auto trans industry. By reading more about them the mid case looks to be a very good one do to clutches and plates.
Anyway thanks, it also doesn't hurt we are members of the same Elks Lodge.

Stanley Stevens
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I put one in my 1956 Ford Crown that was mated to a 312. What your transmission guy said is totally correct. It was an easy swap. I was pleased with the results particularly the ability to start off in 1st gear. I drilled a hole in the back of the intake manifold for the vacuum modulator connection. I wanted to keep the vacuum line hidden since it was a show/driver car.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Stanley, I'll put a hose fitting on the rear carb which currently feeds the vacuum wipers and has an additional port which is plugged and plug it for them. I'm pretty good with steel lines if you've seen the photo of my dual quad lines and will probably make a line which follows the rear of the block, bellhousing, and trans body with an Adel styled clamps along the way to near the vacuum modulator finishing with a short hose. Thanks again.

57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It almost sounds like Art Carrs as a wild guess..
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

57RancheroJim, you are wise beyond your years...

57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
DryLakesRacer (10/16/2017)
57RancheroJim, you are wise beyond your years...
I don't know about wise, just old and remember some of the great names. His reputation with trans was on top.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Made the tentative deal yesterday. The trans he has ready is from 1962 Thunderbird.Unknown if it was original to the car. I'm not that good on the cases but it has 14 cap screws on the pan and a vacuum modulator at the left rear. There is so much info on the net that's confusing but it has a 10-7/32" case without the spacer so I'm guess a medium case. He needs to schedule it with his installers in the shop who are great at swaps do to their experience with so many 200R4's. Looking to have it done by the first week in November as I am not in a hurry and he may need to make a converter; everything is done in his shop including the dynoing of the transmissions to assure they work properly before leaving. 
As is well known older transmission guys are getting harder to find and Art just hired another gentleman in his late 60's looking for something to do and works the old fashion way. Hope everything goes fine and looking forward to the change especially the red oil being missing from under the car.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter