Profile Picture

Cruise-O-Matic

Posted By DryLakesRacer 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Thought it would be done before now but today the car went to the trans shop for the swap. I added a vacuum fitting to the rear carb for the modulator and included a bag of fittings as I don't know if the top will be hard line or not, Looking forward to it returning and if it works out i'll take the stock indicator off the dash an make a new one in lexan (polycarbinate) with new letters on it to show the gear selection; might even put on a green dot....

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The green dot would be the finishing touch. Subtle.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Picked up my 56 from Art Carrs today with the swap to a 62 "green dot" mid case Cruise-O-Matic. It works just as I had hoped it would. Kick down, 1-2-3 or 2-3, speedo, radiator cooled, vacuum modulator, etc. Not EZ swap they had planned but they were able to overcome every obstacle. Some parts that were easily available in the 60's are just harder to get and if there would have been a little more time they could have been found I'm sure.

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Glad to hear of your success with the conversion. Can you please expand on you statement "Some parts that were easily available in the 60's are just harder to get and if there would have been a little more time they could have been found I'm sure."  What was it that they could not find? Does it make any difference? Pete
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Pete, there were 2 major problems and one minor.

#1. A 292 flexplate for a Cruiso was a problem for them as I expected but hoped in their stash they would have one. I suspect one from a Mummert C-4 conversion may have worked but they didn't know of him and I wasn't contacted. The original air cooled torque converter has at least one set of the splines that did not work with the newer trans. They build their own converters so the changed which ever were incompatable and used the original air cooled converter, flexplate/starter gear, and bell housing. They said my converter was in Excellant shape and with fluid maintenance last forever.

#2. The 62 speedo gear fed at the top instead of the bottom on the side of the tail shaft housing and the new trans did not have one AND the teeth spin in the opposite direction. No big deal, use the original, nope, the main shaft is a larger diameter (read stronger) so my trans yoke was changed to fit but since it was a bigger the tail housing was machined to accept the larger bushing and seal. Yes my speedo gear was used on the shaft and the rest fit.

#3 minor. The trans was longer so the had the drive shaft shortened and balenced.

As for the air cooled converter which was the only cooling for the original trans, perhaps will be now in addition to the lines to the radiator will be better. I was hoping to eliminate that from under the car and the cast iron bell housing but it was not to be. I did get all of the non used parts including the original yoke, 62 aluminum bell housing, and 62 tail housing. If I can get an original speedo gear for the Cruiso trans output shaft I might go to it because I think my current nylon speedo gear on the cable is the biggest one and reads correct with a 3.30 rear gear. My next move in modernization is a 65-6 Mustang 8" rear with 2.80 gears which is the real reason for the true 3speed trans....enough ranting for now...I'm happy and little lighter in the wallet but have all Ford parts.

2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

seems to be somewhat of a waste of money,still have air cooled converter,the old trans will start in low if the throttle pressure rod is adjusted correctly and trans pressures are at spec or a touch higher..ther are several posts on using later clutch plates in the fordomatic. yes the later trans is stronger as where used in models with fe,s.  . regarding cooling there was a water to oil cooler on 56 f1s with auto trans.  I have a frend with a 55 merc that we cleaned up the throttle pressure linkage and with part throtel when leaving the stop sign she starts in low every time.
 by staying with air cooled torque you still have the spindly front  pump drive.  But if 1 has a very strong y a c4 would be my choice
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If you read my reply you will see they upgraded the converter to work with the larger front cruise O pump. If I ever find the proper y to cruiseO flexplate I'll change it. As far as I know the 62 converters are still available.

57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I feel another advantage to the swap is the Cruise doesn't use a rear power robbing pump like the Fordo..
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

rear pump supplements the front pump swell as insuring lube so you can get towed home and push start the vehicle. rear pump was removed to save 10$ per trans to the cost of building the trans. there are no benefits to not having the rear pump.Ido not fault putting the newer trans in only feel it was not a advantage for guys with early fordos to go this rout,but mainly inform thes transmissions ar Not 2speed. the rear pump was used i cruzomatics into the 1960s.not sure when rear pump was eliminated ,my manual shoes it in 1960.models. the 2 speed trans ford offered was a very different trans,was less than sucksesfull. yes the crusomatics could handle more torque and hp,but fore a 292-312 not required
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm sorry I posted this ... I appears I wasted some of my children's inheritance.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter