Profile Picture

3rd generation project truck needs heads

Posted By wildman 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I'm looking for a set of 57 ecz-g t-bird heads for a hotrod 292 project I'm working on. That's about the only thing that is stopping from putting a 3 generation project truck back on the road.
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome to the site, Wildman.  Your location is of importance, because shipping weight will affect the cost paid to ship them.  Where are you located?

Do you want just the bare head castings or do you want the valves, valve springs, valve spring retainers and valve keepers?

Someone on here will have what you need or be able to connect you with someone who has a set.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
All 57 Fords used ECZ-G heads except for E and F Tbirds and sedans.  They were not TBird specific.  I don't think the Tbirds heads were any different than the sedans.  272's, 292's and 312's all used the G heads in 1957

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

62bigwindow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I have a couple sets. PM me your contact info.

Durham Missouri
Lord Gaga
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
paul2748 (8/18/2017)
All 57 Fords used ECZ-G heads except for E and F Tbirds and sedans.  They were not TBird specific.  I don't think the Tbirds heads were any different than the sedans.  272's, 292's and 312's all used the G heads in 1957

Didn't the E code cars have G heads??

"FREE SAMPLE"
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Paul.  Lord Gaga is correct.
Yes, all '57 Ford passenger car and T-Bird y-block equipped engines were manufactured with ECZ-G cylinder heads, EXCEPT the supercharged 312 engines which were equipped with cylinder heads with  larger combustion chamber that yielded a lower static compression ratio. The supercharged heads had the casting identification marks EDB-C, EDB-D, or EDB-E. 

Info. source:  John Mummert's website, per the link below . . .
http://ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
wildman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

the reason I'm looking for 1957 312 ecz-g heads is because the intake valve is bigger and the compression ratio is higher factory then the stock 292 heads from 1964.

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Wildman.  Yes, there is a significant difference between the '64 Ford y-block cylinder heads and those produced from '57 - '59.
As John Mummert's chart indicates, '57 - '59 heads used the 1.92 inch intake valves while the '64 heads used 1.64 inch intake valves.
All of Ford advertised compression ratios for cylinder heads on different y-block applications are a bit inflated.

'57 - '58 application ECZ-G heads had 69cc combustion chambers and on a 292 engine would have been advertised as yielding a 9.0:1 or 9.1:1 compression ratio
'58 - '59 application 5752-113 heads had 72 cc combustion chambers and on a 292 engine would have been advertised as yielding a 8.8:1 compression ratio
'59 application 5750-471 heads had 82 cc combustion chambers and on a 292 engine would have been advertised as yielding a 8.0:1 compression ratio

While O.E.M. style steel shim cylinder head gaskets are still available for purchase, most of us have turned to the composite style cylinder head gaskets now widely marketed as replacement head gaskets for the '54-'64 FoMoCo y-block engines.  The use of these, however, results in increasing the effective volume of the combustion chamber above the piston and engine block deck surface.  This increase in effective cylinder head volume lowers the static compression ratio of your engine slightly.

The actual compression ratio you end up with on your y-block engine using composite type cylinder head gaskets, depends upon which brand of gaskets you use.  The link below provides information on the difference between the O.E.M. steel shim style gaskets and various manufacturers' brand composite type head gaskets you might select in terms of how much each increases the effective combustion chamber volume of your selected cylinder heads.   Crazy

Click the link below for cylinder head gasket compressed volume increases to the big intake valve heads you might be planning to use . . .
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2012/06/30/head-gasket-volume-calculation/

Hope this helps!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
wildman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

that will help when I get to that point in the project and I will be looking into those differences. The last time I did the gaskets on that motor I did use steel head gaskets. I am glad that I came across the y-block forever site because I am trying to keep her true to her roots and stay with the y-block family as long as I can before I have to put a FE block in it. My 11 year old son asked to help with the build and before that it was me and me father when I was 10 so I am excited about the project once again and hoping that I can make at least one cruise in Golden Colorado this fall or at least make the first one in the spring.  As the project picks up speed I will keep people posted on the progress and hope that I can find all that we need to make her road worthy. 
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The first step in any project like this is to determine what you have.  A lot can be changed in over 50 years.

Assuming the engine is correct for 1964, then G heads should provide at least a slight increase in compression no matter the gasket used.  If a total rebuild is planned at some point, then you can mill the block and possibly install domed pistons at that time to get the compression up quite a bit over the stock 1964 configuration.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter