Profile Picture

oil leak

Posted By Lanny White 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I need some help, Y-blockers.  My stock 1954 256 merc has developed a leak at the crankcase oil breather assembly where the tube and adapter ass'y. join the filter can (cover).  I pulled the filter can from the top side, removed the old, hard, brittle cardboard gasket and replaced it with a proper sized o-ring.  I reassembled it, being sure the o-ring stayed in place, and now it leaks more than before.  I really expected that the o-ring would be better than the gasket.  Also, oil is pooling in the top of the breather tube ass'y. where the bolts retain it and the oil return tube to the block.  Shouldn't the oil return tube empty this portion of the breather assembly?  I'm going to disassemble it again, this time removing it all from the side of the block to be sure that the oil return tube is not plugged.  What am I missing here?  Also, should I add some sort of sealer to the o-ring and mating surfaces?
slumlord444
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 34 minutes ago
I would try a new gasket rather than an o ring and a little silicone gasket sealer.
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
slumlord444 (8/13/2017)
I would try a new gasket rather than an o ring and a little silicone gasket sealer.

The replacement Filters come with a flat "Rubber" Seal not the original Cardboard type. Also check the Can where the Bolt goes in.The end of the Can gets compressed from over tightening. Knock it back into shape by tapping the Can on the inside. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
If you installed a new filter, I have heard that some were taller than the original.  You may have to cut it down if this is the case.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lanny White
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Thanks, guys.  I pulled the 0-ring and put the old gasket with silicone sealer and the old filter back in and stopped the leak.  If I have further trouble I'll tap out the top of the can as suggested.  So far, so good - put on about 150 miles yesterday and no leaks or drips!
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Lanny, We all love pics of our favorite cars. Got any?

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Lanny White
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm not too techny but had my honey attach one.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/be93a740-9ed6-409a-b823-9db5.jpg
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Yes sirie! She's a beauty. I too am not to techy but there is a thread here that a bunch of forum members have posted pics of their cars. You ought to take a look and add her there. It really is pretty merc. Thanks for posting

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
tthose breathers are hard to stop leaking. only way is remove the complete breather,make sure the cover with no gasket has crush when bolted on, and that the nut is not bent, and is centered. this is so with the new gasket ther is crush,also that the filter element does not hold the cover frome sealing. after this dismant and be sure the drain back tube is clean,and replace the gasket  breather to block
final cure is be sure oil filler cover is clean so the road draft can function,air in top breather  out the road draft. with breather element (road draft) plugged crank case pressure is increased. ,be patent and fix the breathers  properly,no easy way out of henrys not so smart a vent system
Kahuna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Lanny
That is real pretty car.
I know of one similar that has been sitting in a shed for about 30 years. Driven in and parked

Reading This Topic

Site Meter