Profile Picture

Thunderbird Air Cleaner?

Posted By Florida_Phil 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am installing a 1957 312 Holley iron intake and Holley carb on my 1955 292 Thunderbird.  I believe the intake came off a 1957 "D" code passenger car. Everything seems to fit fine, but I'm having a problem with hood clearance.   I tried using a small block Ford HiPo air cleaner, but it's too wide.  I would like a nostalgia type air cleaner that looks 60s correct.  Something clean and small enough to clear.  Anyone ideas?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Some one here used the dual quad version of these, and I tthought they looked pretty good. This is the single quad version. I also modified my 55 a/c to use a standard base plate and element some years ago. PM me if you're interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-4-Barrel-Air-Cleaner-Badger-Scta-Hotrod-Kustom-5-1-8-/222597712985?hash=item33d3db8c59:g:4y0AAOSwCU1YodHa

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
blockhead2
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
There should be no problem if you are using the stock parts and original air cleaner.  The only things I can think of that would affect that is the carb spacer and engine mounts.  Are you using the original Holley carb or a replacement?  Be careful with the air cleaner stud or you may dimple the hood!  The original air cleaner would look best and take advantage of the fresh air intake.

GL,

Bill A
55 Tbird
dbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

I have an aftermarket 14inch diameter, 3 inch high air cleaner with a recessed base in my 55 'Bird.  Clearance is tight at 5/8 inch, but that's with a Mummert intake which I think is his taller one, not the shorter Thunderbird version, not totally sure as I bought it used.
Florida_Phil
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The EBay air cleaner is exactly the one I was looking. A little pricey at $100.  I think we used to pay $10 for those from JC Witney back in the day.  I don't care for the stock helmet air cleaner.  It looks silly in my opinion.  To each his own.  Thank You!!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

famdoc3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Use the 57 T'bird base air cleaner 2barrel or 4 barrel the top is designed for the modern Holley not the old teapot so won't have that "helmet" look you don't like and should clear easily. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
Brent
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Found this article re air cleaner/hp : https://www.hotrod.com/articles/air-cleaner-assembly/

Has anyone fit the K&N Flow Control? Seems there is a combination that will work.

https://www.knfilters.com/racing/flowdimen.htm?pkid=6343082&rw=2

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fb024d32-6126-4c39-b1d1-5b1c.png

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The K&N stub stacks work.  The entire aircleaner is taking that to the next level but I haven't heard reviews.  If $100 is pricey, then Flow Control is not even on the table.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter