Profile Picture

Chasing Oil Leaks

Posted By Richard 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Had a pretty good leak, tracing it back to the op sending unit at the crimp to the black plastic p.  I replaced it. I had to remove the socket bracket for the clutch pivot  ball and the oil filter.  Also found oil coming from the rear valley cover which I replaced with tapped in bolts.  Added a PVC valve and blocked the road draft system
The final issue is at the oil pump feed. Seems the big nut gets loose.  Maybe I over tightened it.  
To find the leaks I jacked up the front placed jack stands on the frame and chocked the rear wheel.  Removed the clutch cover.  Cleaned everything up with brake cleaner then ran the engine for ten minutes at 1500 rpm.   
Just glad it was not the rear main seal.  

Richard
mrmike
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi Richard, On the oil pump feed ,Check out my post on page 2 here. It didn't get much attention, but it is an easy way to fix those leaks on your oil pump !  I did ! and You don't have to remove your oil pan as some of the so called experts say .........   Mike
Richard
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Mike,
I can't find it.  Please advise
Thanks
mrmike
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Just click on page 2 in technical on the top right of the page
& scroll down to oil pump rebuild............
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
mrmike (6/24/2017)
Hi Richard, On the oil pump feed ,Check out my post on page 2 here. It didn't get much attention, but it is an easy way to fix those leaks on your oil pump !  I did ! and You don't have to remove your oil pan as some of the so called experts say .........   Mike

Here’s the link to the oil pump thread to which Mike refers.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic130561.aspx

By loosening the large nut that holds the oil pickup tube tight to the oil pan, there will be enough wiggle in the oil pump inlet tube to remove the oil pump from the engine without having to remove the oil pan.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter