Profile Picture

oil pump rebuild

Posted By mrmike 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

I removed my oil pump, rebuilt it & re-installed it without removing my oil pan.  Step one:  drained the oil & removed oil filter.  Step 2: unbolted & removed the cover plate of the oil pump very carefully, pulling out the gears & drive shaft from the distributer.  Step 3: remove the 3 bolts holding the pump body to the block.  Step 4:  Loosen the big nut holding the oil line to the oil pan.  Lower the pump body pulling it out of the oil line when it is dropped to enough clearance.   Step 5: Rebuild pump & install in reverse order.  Start the pump body bolts & before tightening up,  use a pump oil can ,putting oil into the pump.
  Step 6: Fill the oil filter with oil & the rest of the oil back into the engine.  Start engine & give it a little time to start the suction. It took from 10 to 20 seconds.   
  Hope this helps with anyone needing to change or rebuild your oil Pump !

Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:58:30 AM
Thanks for sharing.  My own preference is to do all gear removal and reinstallation with the pump off of the engine.  Any issues that crop up with the threaded holes or actual gear clearances can then be addressed while the pump is off the engine.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
You should be able to remove the pump without disassembling it or removing the oil pan.

Lawrenceville, GA
mrmike
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
My whole point of this procedure is to be able to remove the oil pump without removing the oil pan.  Without removing the Distributor rod you cannot move the pump down very far to unhook the oil line that comes from the oil pan. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter