Profile Picture

Anyone use a Cardone distributer to upgrade 55 Carb?

Posted By 55Mercurym350 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi all,
I'm modernizing my '55 292 and I have a 4 barrel intake, and modern carb lined up but I need to upgrade my distributor.  I don't want to buy a racing one or anything, just something that will run right.  Original items from 57's and up tend to be quite pricy.  I found one on Cardone but I'm not sure which would work and how to pick the right part.  Anyone have some corporate knowledge they could lay on me in regards to this?

'55 Mercury M350

tarheel
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I put one in my '56 312 a few years ago in conjunction with a Pertronics ignition and they have worked very well.  There were '57 distributors on EBay at the time, for amounts up to $175.  The rebuilt one I got from Rock Auto cost only $45.
Larry
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I used a NAPA rebuilt several years ago. It worked well. Was about $80 I think. Are you removing an 272 292 early distributor? If your shaft is good I may have a deal for you. I have a distributor body with the ball bearing advance plate that needs a shaft. Interested?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55Mercurym350
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)Normally aspirated (49 reputation)

I am, want to work a deal for the intake as a pkg? And thanks for the info guys. I'm having a heck of a time sifting through 60 + years of info.

'55 Mercury M350

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I got a Cardone through NAPA which I installed about 6 years ago and never had  a problem.  I traded in a 54 unit, I don't think the store knew the difference

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I just did my Buddies 56 Yesterday using the 30-2808 Cardone Distributor.Used his existing "A" Manifold with a adapter Plate and a 390 Holley. You can tune this Distributor using Lighter Springs and the Vacuum Advance is adjustable. I did my 56 about 5 Years ago using that Distributor and 390 Holley Carburetor along with the 57 "B" Manifold. Also added Pertronix "2" to my Distributor. I think You will be very happy with this upgrade.Basically this is what Ford did in 1957 which was a big improvement over the Teapot  and Loadomatic Distributor. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Don't knock the teapots

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55Mercurym350
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

So the Cardone 30-2808 has the certifugal advance you need to use modern carbs on old engines?

'55 Mercury M350

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Just make sure you are getting the 57 and up distributor. Often they don't know the difference. Make a note of the ID numbers from John Mummert's site.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
No You can do Distributor alone. You can either modify the Teapot for a Vacuum Source(which is not reversible later) or plug the vacuum hookup and use direct Manifold Vacuum. You will find an improvement just doing that. I recommend buying a Cardone as opposed to buying a used One. The only re-used Parts on the Cardone are the Housing(rebushed) and the Shaft. Everything else is new including Breaker Plate, Gear, and advance Unit. You can change the Distributor without changing the Carb but You must change the Distributor if You change Carb to anything but a Teapot. The # You want for a Distributor is Cardone 30-2808. Doesn't matter where You buy it they all come from the same Supplier. Just shop for best Price on that Part#.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter