Anyone use a Cardone distributer to upgrade 55 Carb?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic130633.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55Mercurym350 - 7 Years Ago
Hi all,
I'm modernizing my '55 292 and I have a 4 barrel intake, and modern carb lined up but I need to upgrade my distributor.  I don't want to buy a racing one or anything, just something that will run right.  Original items from 57's and up tend to be quite pricy.  I found one on Cardone but I'm not sure which would work and how to pick the right part.  Anyone have some corporate knowledge they could lay on me in regards to this?
By tarheel - 7 Years Ago
I put one in my '56 312 a few years ago in conjunction with a Pertronics ignition and they have worked very well.  There were '57 distributors on EBay at the time, for amounts up to $175.  The rebuilt one I got from Rock Auto cost only $45.
Larry
By MoonShadow - 7 Years Ago
I used a NAPA rebuilt several years ago. It worked well. Was about $80 I think. Are you removing an 272 292 early distributor? If your shaft is good I may have a deal for you. I have a distributor body with the ball bearing advance plate that needs a shaft. Interested?
I am, want to work a deal for the intake as a pkg? And thanks for the info guys. I'm having a heck of a time sifting through 60 + years of info.
By paul2748 - 7 Years Ago
I got a Cardone through NAPA which I installed about 6 years ago and never had  a problem.  I traded in a 54 unit, I don't think the store knew the difference
By oldcarmark - 7 Years Ago
I just did my Buddies 56 Yesterday using the 30-2808 Cardone Distributor.Used his existing "A" Manifold with a adapter Plate and a 390 Holley. You can tune this Distributor using Lighter Springs and the Vacuum Advance is adjustable. I did my 56 about 5 Years ago using that Distributor and 390 Holley Carburetor along with the 57 "B" Manifold. Also added Pertronix "2" to my Distributor. I think You will be very happy with this upgrade.Basically this is what Ford did in 1957 which was a big improvement over the Teapot  and Loadomatic Distributor. 
By paul2748 - 7 Years Ago
Don't knock the teapots
So the Cardone 30-2808 has the certifugal advance you need to use modern carbs on old engines?
Just make sure you are getting the 57 and up distributor. Often they don't know the difference. Make a note of the ID numbers from John Mummert's site.
No You can do Distributor alone. You can either modify the Teapot for a Vacuum Source(which is not reversible later) or plug the vacuum hookup and use direct Manifold Vacuum. You will find an improvement just doing that. I recommend buying a Cardone as opposed to buying a used One. The only re-used Parts on the Cardone are the Housing(rebushed) and the Shaft. Everything else is new including Breaker Plate, Gear, and advance Unit. You can change the Distributor without changing the Carb but You must change the Distributor if You change Carb to anything but a Teapot. The # You want for a Distributor is Cardone 30-2808. Doesn't matter where You buy it they all come from the same Supplier. Just shop for best Price on that Part#.
You guys are awesome. All great advice. I puked the trigger on the cardone.
Can you send me the shaft from your old distributor? I can use it to fix one of the two I have.
I will for sure. I'm about 2/3 done pulling the engine apart
By GREENBIRD56 - 7 Years Ago
If I'm remembering this right - you will need to also come up with a distributor cap and rotor for your new Cardone assembly. The '57 up size is a bit bigger.....
You are correct Steve. Bigger diameter which is another positive with this Conversion.
GREENBIRD56 (6/7/2017)
If I'm remembering this right - you will need to also come up with a distributor cap and rotor for your new Cardone assembly. The '57 up size is a bit bigger.....

I picked up a complete assembly,  the cap that comes with the Cardone won't work?
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
If a cap and rotor came with it, then it should work.  In the past, they have not come with a cap.  Do you already have it and it does, in fact, have the cap and rotor?
If You got the Cap and Rotor with it that's a Bonus. Never got One with the 2 I bought. If not You need a Cap and Rotor for 1957-1974 Ford 8 Cylinder. Get a good Quality Cap with Brass Terminals not the Cheapie with Aluminum Terminals.
I don't have it yet but I seems to come with one... I guess I'll know in a week or two.  I'll let you guys know when it gets in.
By DryLakesRacer - 7 Years Ago
I did the Rock Auto Cardone 57-up about 5 years ago when I put on a 53 Cadillac CarterWCFB on my A manifold. After 2 non-wanted tow home for bad condensers while driving I added the Pertronics II and never looked back. Don't trust the chink condensers or have a glove box full and the tools to replace them..
Pertronix 2 or 3 is recommended not 1.
By Daniel Jessup - 7 Years Ago
The Accel 2020 kit is a good way to go as well...much cheaper and most parts stores have the kits in stock on the shelf.
By 2721955meteor - 7 Years Ago
still stand by the ford durra spark 2 conversion. my 57 292 is 3years since conversion. no issues. info on this site  some where. all my parts from the wreckers.
By GREENBIRD56 - 7 Years Ago
This newer style of cap allows the use of high voltage plug wire connectors from the modern era.....
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1c568df4-4b77-4c14-aa20-5608.jpg
Standard P/N  AL-482 Brass Pins
 NAPA P/N     ECH  AL-162 Brass Pins
Donor / Original Vehicle: International Scout II 1975- 1977 w/ 304 CID engine
The depth of the stock Ford cap (1957 – 1973) is 1.765, depth of this new HEI-type cap is 1.695 for a difference of -.100. The spring-contact on the rotor has .25 movement, so it will have to compress an extra .100 with the new cap.
The distance from contact to contact on the stock cap is 1.925. Distance on the HEI cap is 1.890 for a difference of -.035. So the rotor will swing closer to the contacts by .0175". 
The contacts of the stock cap are L-shaped, so apparently the electricity jumps not only across from the tip of the rotor, but also up from the top face of the rotor. 
The contacts of the HEI-type cap are just a blade, so the electricity will be able to jump ONLY from the tip, therefore, the closer the tip to the contact, the better (I would guess).

Hey Steve! I sent U a PM asking for a little of your Expertise on my Cardone Distributor. Thanks
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
The Duraspark cap and rotors also fit.
By OlWeldinrig - 7 Years Ago
Just curiuos,was that the truck for sale aroumd Saskatoon Sask?
Dave
You guys were right, it didn't come with a cap but I got in contact with the seller and we worked out a deal for one.  Thanks again gents.