HELP - Dad's Old, He Needs Power Steering! 1956 Mercury Monterey

Posted By BigIke 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

HELP - Dad's Old, He Needs Power Steering! 1956 Mercury Monterey

Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hey y'all, GREAT SITE, been reading a lot, I've search, but was unable to find an answer.

Dad's getting up there... I just installed an aluminum radiator and 22k BTU A/C in the Merc, with some nice powder coating. I was looking to install electric power assist steering (EPAS). But, i fear the column shift linkage will get in the way of EPAS system... So, I saw that UNISTEER has a rack and pinion upgrade for 55-56 Fords. 

Is 55-56 Ford steering, the same as Dad's 56' Merc? If so, I'm going to beg him to pull the trigger...

Our A/C compressor is on the driver side, with a cheesy/custom bracket, i might have to make a bracket to mount the P/S pump high on the passenger side. Our alternator is mounted low on the passenger side. I'd like to see if the EBAY alternator, passenger side alternator and A/C bracket for Ford Truck Y-Blocks will fit the Merc; looks like there is plenty of room...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0180ffd3-e05f-45ed-a7d6-85cc.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/955c2d93-aad0-4dfa-8e26-9d25.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ef9707a9-bfee-4d4c-876b-158c.jpg

Thanks for any help!!!
Jay

kevink1955
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am Assuming the shift linkage is the same on the Merc as the Ford, Mine is a 56 Fairlane with 3 speed manual. I was able to install EPAS while still retaining the column shift.  After I installed it I had some medical problems and would have had trouble driving without PS the first year so I am glad I did it. Here is a link to the post I made after I installed it.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422.aspx

I see you have a Rack and Pinion installed already, How is the steering effort with RP as compared to stock ?

I am assuming you can do some cutting and welding, it's not that difficult a job. Any questions feel free to ask

DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

From my experience unless you find an original unit from a 56 Ford/Merc your in for a lot of work. I have seen alternators mounted above the original area where you have mounted your AC compressor so that can be done opening up the original spot for the pump.
All the "kits" to put in rack&pinion or Saginaw like in a Camaro take a lot of column cutting or adding a new column with what would be needed for the new steering.
There was an article in the FOMOCO Times a short while back that told of installing one of the kits and all the gentleman had to do to make it work.
I've rebuilt my own control valve after having it done by others twice before it stopped leaking.
There are ads in the the FOMOCO Times where members are dismantling cars and may be a good way to find one. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Not any real help, just a couple comments.

I've got a Cavalier rack in my bird. Works perfect. After I don't want to remember how much time and money to reduce the line pressure, correct the bump steer, etc. Oh, and a new Ididit column. I didn't have the heart to cut up a newly rebuilt and rechromed 55 column with a newly rebuilt 57 3 sector box. Drives almost the same as the OEM power set up, with a little loss in turn radius. It's not clear to me that the "designed" aftermarket conversions are any better.

My bird has A/C, the compressor on the passenger side. Alternator low, A/C above it, same belt. I was skeptical that would work without slippage, but it's not been a problem. I've got a 90 amp alternator due to high electrical loads, so both it and the Sanyo compressor are making it fine. Those parts came from Classic Auto Air but they buy them out. Others have them. Some fit a 3 groove pulley and run the A/C on its own belt. See the long post on the rebuild by Daniel Jessop, the "Hot Rod Reverend".

Despite the leakage problems with and OEM ram and valve, I'd try to find a way to stay with it. While those original parts might seem expensive and hard to find they can be cheap in the long run, and way better for resale.

I don't know how old Dad is, but I'm 67. Bad back, I couldn't drive the car comfortably without power steering and brakes. The Merc is obviously heavier than my car. My 32 roadster is all manual, but it's light enough I can manage it.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
BigIke
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)

Sorry, the Merc is a 2-speed auto. The three-on-the-tree ought to have been a lot harder install for EPAS than the auto column. I'll read your post now. 

About the rack-and-pinion, Dads, car is a manual and completely stock.

Jay
BigIke
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Kevin K, Great post, i was thinking that the auto-shifter linkage would need to be done the same way! That is great to see it in place and working!!!

Can I call you tomorrow to discuss in-depth???

Jay
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

BigIke. Your fotos were not up when I replied and miker replyed on the placement of both the alt and compressed on the right side.
2 yrs ago I bought a NOS heater control from a gentleman in Colorado who had aquired a Ford Merc dealership an had thousands of parts including complete power steering systems. I almost bought one of them just for the control valve and slave. I remember looking up parts on the Internet and found him. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
kevink1955
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

I wish I had time for a phone call but it is not in the cards any time soon.
The Link below to the Mustang forum is where I got the idea, they are using GM steering units and I did some research and found the Toyota units are a better fit (for me anyway)
My username over there is Sons67, go take a look.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps.html

I can answer any questions you have on this forum so anyone else who may want to do this can follow along.

Now a question for you, does the Merc have a 2 tube column (1 tube holds the steering shaft and the other is a shift rod) If so the ford mods will work and retain your column shift. Sorry about the mixup thinking you had a Rack, Mine still has the original manual steering box and it works good with the Epas unit
BigIke
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks, I'm all over your post! We bought a fairlane aftermarket steering column, looking for A Yaris steering box now! Thanks for the info!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter