Profile Picture

New Flex plate doesn't fit.

Posted By rontron 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I just installed the new flex plate I bought from Thunderbird headquarters on my 292 bored to 312.  It doesn't line up to the bolt holes on my fordomatic torque converter.

HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Ron Tron
Daniel Jessup
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Did you contact them yet? What did they say?

Did you go from the two ear, three hole and ear, flex plate to a "no ear" 4 hole flex plate?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Neeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd Ppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccssssssss lol

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

rontron
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)Turbocharged (70 reputation)

yes ..........I went from the three hole ear type with rivets 180 out........to four hole............it doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking because I have the bell howsing bolts in to line up and its causing the torque converter to rub the existing bolts on the converter that that could be the problem....

I'm going to take out a few more torque converter nuts and see if that helps.....but it sure doesn't look like it lines up at all

Ron Tron
Daniel Jessup
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

I did this change on a 55 Ford Fairlane several years ago, from the two ear flex plate to the one you describe. I cannot remember having any issues although the original Fordamatic was still in place. As I recall, I did remove four bolts/nuts from the converter in the correct locations before mating the engine and transmission together.

Did you tighten things down on the bellhousing before removing those converter bolts??

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

rontron
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

It turns out I have a 53 torque converter that has a different bolt pattern..............Now I have to find a later model Torque Converter.............Anybody have one laying around?

Ron Tron
carl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
where are you located   Carl
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
So the converter fit what was presumably the stock flex plate but it does not fit a replacement which should be identical in regards to the bolt hole dimensions?

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter