New Flex plate doesn't fit.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic129718.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By rontron - 7 Years Ago
I just installed the new flex plate I bought from Thunderbird headquarters on my 292 bored to 312.  It doesn't line up to the bolt holes on my fordomatic torque converter.

HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
By Daniel Jessup - 7 Years Ago
Did you contact them yet? What did they say?

Did you go from the two ear, three hole and ear, flex plate to a "no ear" 4 hole flex plate?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Neeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd Ppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccssssssss lol

By rontron - 7 Years Ago
yes ..........I went from the three hole ear type with rivets 180 out........to four hole............it doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking because I have the bell howsing bolts in to line up and its causing the torque converter to rub the existing bolts on the converter that that could be the problem....

I'm going to take out a few more torque converter nuts and see if that helps.....but it sure doesn't look like it lines up at all
By Daniel Jessup - 7 Years Ago
I did this change on a 55 Ford Fairlane several years ago, from the two ear flex plate to the one you describe. I cannot remember having any issues although the original Fordamatic was still in place. As I recall, I did remove four bolts/nuts from the converter in the correct locations before mating the engine and transmission together.

Did you tighten things down on the bellhousing before removing those converter bolts??
By rontron - 7 Years Ago
It turns out I have a 53 torque converter that has a different bolt pattern..............Now I have to find a later model Torque Converter.............Anybody have one laying around?
By carl - 7 Years Ago
where are you located   Carl
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
So the converter fit what was presumably the stock flex plate but it does not fit a replacement which should be identical in regards to the bolt hole dimensions?