Profile Picture

New member with lots of questions

Posted By RLJ 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Greetings from Oregon. My first car was a 1956 Merc Montclair 4dr htp Phaethon, 312 auto. Bought that in '68 for $25 with a bad starter and a blown head gasket between 2 cylinders, Fixed it and what a great running car. Must have been owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays lol! It's long gone and fast fwd to now. I know very little about Y blocks as the '56 Merc, a very short stint with '57 F100, 55 Ford wagon with a 272,and a '54 F100 w a 239 were all owned in the late'60's. My brother recently passed and his '54 Sun Valley apparently has a bad engine. It has been in shop for sometime and his intentions were to modernize the drivetrain which I am totally against. He said the shop guys told him they couldn't get the parts to repair the 256. So I've been studying the situation trying to learn as much as I can about parts, interchanges etc. It will be a couple weeks before I will be able to see the car and talk to the mechanics but I want to be armed with as much info as possible when I talk to these guys. My understanding is the '54 has some differences, fuel pump, cam bearing diameters and cam gear teeth. We would like to put the 256 back in but thinking if it's too far gone or finding parts becomes difficult or too expensive a later 292 might be an option. So this is the same bore as a 272 and I'm not finding a lot 272 rebuild parts. I guess for now I'm looking for someone in the Portland area who could possibly go through this engine or someone who could share their knowledge of these. The Portland swapmeet is just around the corner, I have a space at Expo and will be prowling there and PIR. If any of you experts will be there maybe we could get together and discuss a solution. 

Any info will be greatly appreciated, 
Dick

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
RLJ.  Welcome to the site.

Parts for the '54 Ford 239 and Mercury 256 are less available than for the later y-blocks as you indicated.  Pistons for the later 272s are less available, too.  Yes, I'd encourage you to go the 292 route for rebuilding purposes.

IF you haven't seen these articles they'll get you on board with the evolution of the FoMoCo y-block from '54 - '64...  Click the links below to access them.

This first article is written by Ted Eaton.  Ted is a moderator on this Internet Forum, owns Eaton Balancing in Texas, and was the 2016 winner of Hot Rod Magazine sponsored Engine Masters Challenge running a modified 292 y-block in the Vintage Class (see the March 2017 issue of Hot Rod Magazine; notice Ted's engine entry on the front cover and the accompanying article on pages 62 and 63)...
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/yblock.php

The second article is written by Tim McMaster who heads up an automotive machine shop at Hanford Auto Supply in Hanford, California, is a racer, and like Ted, is very knowledgeable about y-blocks...
http://yblockguy.com/about_the_y-block_ford.htm

Another resource is the web site owned by John Mummert.  John has an automotive machine shop and y-block parts supply located in El Cajon, California.  John is an excellent individual to turn to for y-block parts needed for rebuilding or modification of Ford y-blocks.  John's web site is at Ford y-block.com  The link that follows will get you to the Technical section of his Internet site that is a treasure trove of y-block information...
http://ford-y-block.com/technical.htm

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
The only reason to keep the '54 engine is if you simply must have it be original.  Otherwise, you are better off to replace it with a later 292 because parts are much easier to find, cheaper, and because of the 36 extra CI, you will get more power.  If you build a 292 to the '57 spec, you will have about 50 more hp that is totally streetable, with a smooth, stock sounding idle.

99% of people will not know the difference.  You can put the correct 256 decals on the valve covers and paint it the correct color, and practically no one but you will know.

If you have room, keep the original engine stashed away somewhere, so that it can be made stock again, if desired.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
In case you're not familiar with them, this yard is just over the border in Vancouver WA. I had good luck with Y block parts some time back, might be worth a call.

http://www.allamericanclassics.com

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I agree with the others and go for a 292.  You can use all the outside 256 parts so no one will know the difference.  Keep the 256 in case you sell the car as it might be a good selling point.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

RLJ
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Thanks for all the replies! All the sites listed, I've been there. I'm getting a real education for sure. I will be going to look at the car in the morning and get an idea of what I have to work with. Some thoughts I had today, I've seen where the 272 blocks were bored to 292, would there be enough meat on the 256 to do that since it's the same bore as a 272? Put in the 292 crank and rods and have the original block. Possible? Then I see the cons of this one year block, fuel pump, water pump and what's the deal with distributor gear and cam journal size? Vacuum advance only distributor. How am I doing educating myself? So yes the 292 is looking more like the way to go. Thanks for the tip on All American Classics in Vancouver, yes I have heard of them but hadn't thought about them. I need to find a builder who knows what they are doing, been reading up on the rocker arm oiling which I know back in the day was a problem due to non-detergent oils. Don't need a hot rod just a sweet runner.
Dick
RLJ
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Looks like a 292 it is. Just got back from looking at the car, they tell me it's been there for 20 yrs! The engine that was in it was a 312 and it broke the crank.

Dick
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

This doesn't add up.  First, it is a 256 that they can't find parts for.  Now it is a 312 that broke the crank.  Unless there is some important piece of info that we outsiders are not aware of, I'd seriously evaluate the trustworthiness of that shop.

Lawrenceville, GA
RLJ
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

charliemccraney (2/21/2017)
This doesn't add up.  First, it is a 256 that they can't find parts for.  Now it is a 312 that broke the crank.  Unless there is some important piece of info that we outsiders are not aware of, I'd seriously evaluate the trustworthiness of that shop.

I was assuming it was the original engine by the condition of the car.  Aren't 312's and parts harder to find? http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/be31be5e-3a49-4b3f-8c9f-016a.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a6aebbc2-0839-4572-baf2-3f2f.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The crank is harder to come by but still not that hard to find if you take the time to look.  If that is all that is broken, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Main bearings might be difficult, depending on the size needed.  Otherwise, typical rebuild stuff should be pretty easy.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter