Profile Picture

Torque Converter for 3 Speed Fordomatic.

Posted By Rudder2fly 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Was there ever a higher stall than stock torque converter for this trans? If so does anyone have one available for sale? I am located in western Ky.

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
suede57ford
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The bolt together convertor('57) can be split a part and then the blades can be modified to change the stall speed. 
There are article in the older Y-Block magazine how to adapt and modify Fordomatics. 
If you want it to look sort-of stock with a cast iron case, you can use a later FMX, as there were high stall convertors and shift kit available for them at one time.    FMX was pretty good trans when modified. I had a friend who's dad owned a transmission shop and  had a modified FMX behind at small block in a '69 Mustang and it was one sweet shifting transmission.

A C4 works really good if you have a modified motor, but not as stock looking.  Jerry Christanson has C4'sfront pumps machined to fit the original bellhousing if you want to retain the stock starter.    I prefer the stock starter, as they have a unique sound.

Pat Fleischman

PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I believe quite some time back there was info on this site & possibly in Y-block magazine on building a hybrid Fordo/Fmx transmission. If I recall it originated with the well known contributor,  the Hoozier Hurricane. Unfortunately, he's no longer on this site, but maybe someone knows where to dig up the particulars? 

Paul
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

I think I've identified the article that Paul was referring to about building a hybrid FMX transmission.  It's on our website in the ARTICLES section.  The title of the article is 'Alternate FMX Upgrade' and was written by Bob Martin.  Our own Harry Hutten, aka HJH, was apparently the information source for Bob's writing of the article.. 

Click the link below to go there directly.
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/fmx_upgrade.html

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

suede57ford (2/12/2017)
The bolt together convertor('57) can be split a part and then the blades can be modified to change the stall speed. 
There are article in the older Y-Block magazine how to adapt and modify Fordomatics.

Pat.  I wasn't aware that two piece torque converters were used with any of the '57 FordoMatics.  I think of the two piece aluminum air cooled torque converters being used in '55 and in '56 'til ~ April when they switched to the water cooled FordoMatics with steel one piece torque converters.  I'm not questioning what you're sharing, just seeking additional info.

Were the '57 two piece converters used for particular applications that you know of?  Were the torque converters steel casing or aluminum?

Just being able to open the converter up to permit fully cleaning it out would be a plus for me.  Thanks for any additional info. you can share.

Regards,
Charlie Brown

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter