Profile Picture

tach drive distributor

Posted By rexbd 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
FINALLY, getting close to having the Tbird done!!!  I need to source a tach drive distributor for a 57 set up.  My tbird is a 55 but I have gone to a different intake and carb so need to change out the distributor.  I cant find anyone who sells a new tach drive dist for the 57 tbird.  Any help would be appreciated

Rex
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 14 minutes ago
I imagine this would just need to be recurved

http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-Ford-Thunderbird-E-Code-Dual-Quad-Tach-Drive-Distributor-312-Y-Block-T-Bird-/152395612000?hash=item237b7c7f60:g:o9EAAOSw44BYeaYz&vxp=mtr 

You can also use a standard Y block distributor and convert to an electronic tach.  I don't know the details, but I know people have done it and the cost will be far less than an original tach drive distributor.

Lawrenceville, GA
rexbd
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
and a mortgage, wow.  Plan B
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
The T-Bird parts suppliers sell tach-drive Mallory distributors.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Check with the Tbird parts suppliers, especially Hill's.  A lot of them sell used parts.  Be prepared to spend some 500-600 bucks, possibly more,  for one.

The one shown is for an EBird.  The regular 57 DBird dizzy's go for a lot less.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Click the link below that shows a '57 'Bird distributor that was sold on eBay just a short time ago.  Note: 9 people bid!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-Ford-Thunderbird-Tach-Drive-Distributor-T-Bird-TBird-Y-Block-YBlock-312-292-/152371359894?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=qt7za7DJ35FJSL1yLD9x9FmKIEc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

As Paul said, it's a bit less pricey than the E code unit that is presently being offered.  The thing is that other than the ID housing code, there's not alot of difference between a C or D code 'Bird distributor and an E code unit.  The distributor plates are for single point ignition, and the distributor cam is the same.  Yes, one centrifugal advance spring is different and something in the vacuum advance chamber is different (the spring or the # of shims used, not sure), BUT otherwise it's ALL the same!

I'm glad I don't have anything more than a driver!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have a 3 3/8" Stewart Warner mechanical tach. I'm pretty sure the electronic ones use the same case. You pry the bezel off, cafefully grind the lip off down to the case (or can) size, and it slips right into the stock 'bird tach bezel. Make a U bracket for the back, carefully sand the faceplate down to fit, and you're done. Electronic tach, cheap. It won't look stock, because they don't make 5000 rpm tachs with the sweep on a bird. But it fits, and works. Doane Spencer put a 9000 rpm SW tach in his 55, using a mechanical drive aftermarket dizzy. He had an 8000 rpm Y block. Far beyond most of our capabilities. That's where I got the idea.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter