Profile Picture

What "Power Steering" can I use in my 54 Ford Sunliner ?

Posted By sunliner54 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

What "Power Steering" can I use in my 54 Ford Sunliner ?

Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I have Ohv  V-8 and Auto Transmission

Question ---  I want to convert to "Power Steering" what are my options ?    
PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I might be corrected on this, but as far as I'm aware, other than locating all the needed parts from another similar car, there is no complete kit of any sort available. Some have converted mid 50s Fords to rack & pinion, but it's not a kit bolt in & there have been issues with this option, one being ground clearance problems.. If it could be readily resolved with mostly new parts, I'd likely convert my 57 car too..  Good luck.  

Paul
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Aside from finding original replacements, I'd start with Borgeson. The link is to the early models, they list 57 and on also. They are not cheap, but I've never had anything from them that wasn't first class. You might also try a search at the ford barn or the HAMB, on the the social group sites, for the right year car.

You'll need to talk to them, and ask specific questions. Issues with the shift linkage, clutch linkage, headers, etc. happen. The advantage to a power box is you avoid the old technology and leaks of the ram. You'll also keep the original geometry, if the kits done right. I've got a Cavalier R&P in my bird. Works great, but it was a ton of time and money to work out the bump steer issues, get the "twitchy" out of the power rack, etc.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=117

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Similar to Miker, I also have a rear mounted Cavalier power rack in my 56 Customline. It was a very problematic installation and the company that was marketing them as "bolt-in" is now only selling T-shirts and the like. The only company I am aware of that is selling a complete kit for our mid- fifty's Fords is Unisteer. However, these kits are very expensive (more than $2,000) and are pretty complicated to install. Hope this helps and good luck!

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
sunliner54 (10/4/2016)
I have Ohv  V-8 and Auto Transmission

Question ---  I want to convert to "Power Steering" what are my options ?    
Another option is buy a complete original power steering set up from me. Carl

Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
larrys t bird sells a kit but its not cheap
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I was looking at a kit that would had the rag joint up past the firewall and the column would have needed to be shortened a bunch and probably could not use the column shifter so I decided I can handle the arm strong steering for a few more years and concentrate on power brakes instead.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
kevink1955
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Electric Power Steering

Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
i have a friend who ran a gernada setup on his 55 for years and was happy with it.cheapest way to go.
2721955meteor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
314 (11/28/2016)
i have a friend who ran a gernada setup on his 55 for years and was happy with it.cheapest way to go.

just be aware the 1957 to 59 are different cont vale as well as conecting rod,also idler arms ar different . so 1956 and older is the best bet if you can find a used setup. (just did some work on my 57, compared the cot valve to 1956  i have in spare stuff, very different. i think the 56 is better,but not interchangeablehoses from macs are 2 short and  poor quality. had 1 fail after 1year.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter